What OS do you use?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sly14Cat, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat

Yes. Besides Windows 8. Is there any Mac OSX or Linux users here? I use Xubuntu on a daily basis but I use Windows 8 sometimes so you can see me helping around the forums sometimes. Also if you want, post a screenshot of what your desktop looks like so we can all enjoy how nice it is :p

[​IMG]

Sly14Cat, Sep 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Sly14Cat

RomanAnthonysMama

I have two laptops, one is an ASUS running on Window's 8, and the other is a really old iBook that was running on some really old OS, so I downloaded Mac OSX but it was a really, reaaally old version. I mean, it's so old that it barely even supports Safari. I mainly just use it to type and save documents.

RomanAnthonysMama, Sep 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Sly14Cat

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

OSX 10.9 on my MacBook, Windows 7 on my PC.

Core, Sep 25, 2013
  4. Sly14Cat

airplayne

I have a desktop (running Windows 7) and a laptop (running Windows 8). The desktop will stay with its current OS since I don't feel like shelling out money for another one, plus it doesn't have a touchscreen, so there really is no point.

airplayne, Sep 30, 2013
  5. Sly14Cat

strych923

Windows 8 on my laptop and Ubuntu Server on my netbook.

strych923, Nov 14, 2013
  6. Sly14Cat

themarting

Desktop dual boots Windows 7 and Windows 8
    MacBook Pro run OS X Mavericks and Windows 8
    Old acer laptop runs Windows Vista

themarting, Nov 19, 2013
  7. Sly14Cat

MorgUK

I've been using Ubuntu on a spare laptop recently and to be honest I've really been getting on with it. As long as you have a bit of technical knowledge and can Google/use a few command prompts then you should be OK. Surprisingly though, Ubuntu is quite heavy. On my Core 2 Duo laptop with 2GB RAM (old, but not bad for linux), it wasn't as quick as I would have liked. I think it's because of the new unity display.

MorgUK, Dec 12, 2013
  8. Sly14Cat

MyDigitalpoint

I'm now on Windows 8, think that I never thought to be possible because I promised myself to downgrade to XP if I would ever upgrade.

Couldn't upgrade but have to, having to buy a new laptop.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 12, 2013
  9. Sly14Cat

airplayne

It wouldn't have done any good to downgrade to XP anyway since Microsoft will no longer be supporting it.

airplayne, Dec 13, 2013
  10. Sly14Cat

MyDigitalpoint

Well, I have never relied on MIcrosoft updates to the extent that I enjoyed using Windows 98SE for almost ten years with the sole aid of unofficial updates.

Windows XP never liked me at all but was the best next option when I couldn't keep Windows 98SE display at least at a 1400x900px resolution when I lost the generic graphics driver and this was not longer available, while those of the unofficial site didn't longer work with newer computer, hence the reason I had to use XP full time then.

I must admit that while using Windows 98SE sometimes I need to switch to either Windows 2000 or XP due to sites asking me at least for any of these operating systems, reason why I had a multi-boot system.

MyDigitalpoint, Dec 13, 2013
  11. Sly14Cat

MorgUK

I do want to give OSX a real go. At most I've only ever spent 10 minutes on it and I never know what I'm doing. Many love OSX and say it is much better than Windows and I'd love to see that side of the operating system. Personally I think Windows should aim to be more streamlined like Linux and OSX. At the end of the day I'd love to use Linux, but I'd want it to play all my games and run all my software. Until that day I'll stay with Windows.

MorgUK, Dec 17, 2013
    Sly14Cat likes this.
  12. Sly14Cat

Sly14Cat

I've been playing around with Linux for the last few days after settling with Ubuntu 13.10 since the day it came out. I now dual boot eOS (Elementary) and Ubuntu and I have to say that Elementary is one of the nicer looking ones out there, even better with a bit of tweaking. Anyways I'll be onto programming, networking and the like so I won't [​IMG] be messing with Linux nearly as much, but I honestly find I don't need Windows anymore so I installed eOS on top of it actually. I kept it for months thinking that I might need that one program but it never happened and it was just taking up space. If I need it I'll get it but for now my computer is doing excellent without it. Here's a screenshot of eOS Luna:

Sly14Cat, Dec 17, 2013
  13. Sly14Cat

MorgUK

That looks really nice man! :)

MorgUK, Dec 18, 2013
  14. Sly14Cat

turklife

I actually really like Chrome OS on the Chromebooks. It's a nice, simple OS and I am really enjoying it. Yes, it is essentially the chrome browser maximized on the screen, but it works so well for the cheap end netbook chromebooks. I have been having a great user experience with it.

turklife, Jan 20, 2014
  15. Sly14Cat

Trellum

So far I have been sticking to Windows products only, so the OS I use right now is Windows 8.1. I might give Ubuntu a try someday tho, but for now I'm just sticking with the Windows products :) Windows 8.1 isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, so I don't feel the need to change it ;)

Trellum, Mar 5, 2014
  16. Sly14Cat

gadgetised

OS X. It is my favourite OS by far. I prefer it because of its simplicity, ease of use and the mac app store is getting pretty good.

gadgetised, Mar 6, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question