What do you want or don’t want to see or experience with Win 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Papo, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Papo

Papo

I like Win 7 as opposed to Vista because it doesn’t require as many resources, i.e. memory and cpu. It’s also less complicated to install and run. But I also would like Win 7 to load faster, incorporate component installation choices, e.g. if I don’t want to use IE8, I should have the option not to include it during installation. At the same time, if I wanted to install Microsoft Security Essentials for example, I should have that option as well.

I don’t believe that installation option selection would be difficult to incorporate within the OS. An individual connected to fast internet should be allowed to select Microsoft’s software he/she want to install during Win 8 installation. Once the selection is made, the OS would connect to the internet and automatically download and install those components and have them install at one “seating”.

Papo, Aug 18, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Papo

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I would like for Windows 8 to predict the lottery and Power Ball numbers for the tickets I plan on buying... LOL! :rolleyes:

Nibiru2012, Sep 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Papo

Ian Administrator

It's the much improved boot times and app store integration that I'm looking forward to most (out of the things I've seen so far). If the app store has the functionality to keep apps autoupdated then that will save me quite a bit of time (I'm hoping it can do this, a little like the way Steam works).

Ian, Sep 13, 2011
  4. Papo

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

As someone who rarely powers off his computer, I have never cared much about boot times. Most operating systems these days boot quite fast enough for me, so I'm not worried about that. As for the app store, I have mixed feelings about it, because Microsoft has a crappy track record with their gadgets (I think they stopped updating those after 7 came out) site, the extra junk that Vista Ultimate buyers were supposed to get, and the inexplicable inability to provide proper theme support for the OS. I would not expect to see many free quality apps in Microsoft's store, but obviously it is too early to tell.

For what I really do not want to see, the first prize goes to a tablet interface. I've seen some truly ugly screenshots which remind me of the Windows Media Center, what with the huge links and lots of wasted screen space...not to mention a less than intuitive interface experience. I know tablets are all the rage now, and touchscreen monitors are becoming more common, but I personally really really really do not want to use a GUI that was primarily designed touchscreens in mind.

One thing I would finally like to see in Windows 8, but probably won't because Redmond boys can't code, is multiple virtual desktops. I realize that Microsoft thinks the Aero Flip is really cool, but it does very little to help with the problem of limited screen space.

Core, Sep 14, 2011
  5. Papo

Ace

I personally would like them to move away from this vision of creating an OS exactly like an advanced iTouch or iPhone... The idea was completely taken from apple as far as I see it... A few minor additions to that little display and they can claim it as their idea. I don't see myself doing productive programming on a Windows 8 machine though. It can be as fast as lightning, but if the OS itself has to treat me like a 2 year old with technology, then i'm not getting anywhere with it. They came out with UAC which was annoying but understandable, and now a reference to that same annoyance for me would be the entire Windows 8 OS with the way it's laid out. I hope the world doesn't come to a touch screen generation just to try and be fancy, otherwise i'm hoping they have a way to let the system read our minds to make up for how much slower manual processes will be in comparison to a desktop without an on screen keyboard, and fancy click and drags.

I'm sure the developers who created Windows 8 are happy, but developers who have to use the system for developing other things probably aren't too happy, as i'm not quite satisfied with it either.

Ace, Sep 14, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question