What do you think of the Metro UI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ian, Sep 15, 2011.

?

1. Great, much better than Android/iOS on other tablets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's good, I may use it

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Doesn't interest me

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Not very keen

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Yuk, I don't like it at all!

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Imagine that you are using Windows 8 on a tablet PC, not your desktop when answering this question...

Can you imagine using this interface on a touchscreen device in preference of Android or iOS? There's no doubt that Windows 8 is aiming to be a big player in the touchscreen market, but does the Metro UI work/look well enough for you?

Ian, Sep 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Thrax

Metro UI is nice for tablets. So nice, actually, that I use Launcher 7 on my rooted Nook Color, which emulates the Metro UI as a desktop replacement. What Metro is not nice for, however, is laptops and notebooks. The mouse is simply too precise to warrant such large tiles, and I can think of no good reason on god's green earth why I should have to pan my desktop left and right to see everything I want to run. More importantly, the sheer amount of wasted space is appalling. Mashing Metro and the classic Windows UI together screams of bad Ux, too. It's just very, very bad for desktops and notebooks.

Thrax, Sep 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

davehc

I voted Doesn't interest me before reading your post. (Stationary)

davehc, Sep 16, 2011
  4. Ian

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

To me this Metro UI is just another Windows Phone, an attempt at conquering another market. The desktop isn't going away for long time, despite what Steve Jobs may preach. I wish Microsoft focused on improving their flagship OS, instead of trying to shift the user experience in a completely different direction. I have used an iPad many times, and I absolutely hated it. A touchscreen, for me, is fine on a phone with a decent-sized display, but not on a computer monitor. Somehow this new UI reminds me of how Ubuntu adopted Unity and drove masses of users away to other distros. This may be the first Windows edition in a long time that I won't purchase at all.

Core, Sep 17, 2011
  5. Ian

Papo

I like it. It's something new, something different and fresh; at least for Windows. Not sure if I want to use it on my laptop though, but it's definitely cool and useful on a tablet. Would like to personalize the icons though, i.e. change colors, text and even shape. Square icons are fine, but what about round, triangle or star shape?

Papo, Sep 17, 2011
  6. Ian

tatiz

I really don't like it at all, at least not on my netbook. Why oh why can't it be pretty as well as functional!

tatiz, Sep 19, 2011
  7. Ian

Mike

Not impressed at all with Metro UI, if it were simply a tablet based OS then my opinion would be somewhat different. However, because of the way Metro is structured, in a productivity environment it leaves little to be desired. Many companies will simply choose not to upgrade ( sounds familier, many remember XP to Vista) or just use the optional legacy desktop feature, then the question is, why bother upgrading at all. If your in the business of graphic design, or publishing for example can you imagine using metro where you have to copy and paste quite often from one window to the next and having to collapse the window then scroll, then expand, then paste, then repeat. and that's just for one instance. Microsoft in my opinion did not think this one out very well in my opinion and hopefully the final release will address such things as being able to expand a window ?

Mike, Sep 21, 2011
  8. Ian

draceena

I totally agree, especially on the having to scroll left and right to see everything and agree the big blocks of color is just wasted space.

draceena, Oct 1, 2011
  9. Ian

Papo

This article about Win 8 Metro is from http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20116005-75/microsoft-defends-its-windows-8-metro-start-screen/.
    My thinking about Metro is that most Windows users accustomed to the traditional Start menu don’t want to go through the process of having to learn a new way to work with Windows. In other words, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Businesses have problems as well because of the training that will be required to learn this new approach. I’m sure there will be many changes to Metro before Windows is finally launch.

Papo, Oct 6, 2011
  10. Ian

Papo

IMO, Microsoft will do everyone "good" if they would provide a quick method to disable the Metro UI; perhaps even a short cut. I really can't see myself using it, unless I'm running a tablet or a touch screen laptop or PC. It may look nice and fresh, but I don't see any advantages of having it on my desktop or my current laptop. Nonetheless, a button or shortcut that could allow me to switch back and forth between the traditional and the Metro UI would not be an inconvenienced.

Papo, Oct 11, 2011
  11. Ian

Papo

This is a line from Steven Sinofsky (Microsoft engineer) concerning Windows 8 Developer Preview, “We are continually testing the efficiency of the new UI and we will continue to improve it.” So, in other words, there’s hope that the new Metro UI will be improve and perhaps we just need to be a little patient. There’s the possibility that by the time Windows 8 goes to production we all (or almost all) will be praising the Metro UI. You can read more here.

Papo, Oct 13, 2011
  12. Ian

clifford (c_c)

I don't think I will be part of that group.

clifford, Oct 13, 2011
  13. Ian

Papo

Well, my thinking is that perhaps Microsoft may take the majority of people's opinions and fix the Metro UI to most people's liking. In the current form, it sucks, but I don't think it should be discarded completely. While Windows 7 layout works well, I'm open to a new fresh look, as long as it's practical.

Papo, Oct 16, 2011
  14. Ian

zigzag3143

Metro isnt growing on me much but after customizing it and removing all the bloatware I can live with it. There is a simple reg change that can turn it off (or on) on the fly

zigzag3143, Oct 17, 2011
  15. Ian

Papo

I still think that from a tablet standpoint the Metro UI makes sense and will become handy. From this excerpt (from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394426,00.asp#fbid=intwpi9ZPCE) one can deduct that Microsoft is really concentrating the Metro UI to the tablet users population. "Back in June, you saw Steven and Julie introduce the Metro style UI for the first time. We expect many people using tablets to spend a lot of time in that environment, typically using Metro style apps. As part of that demonstration, we also showed that for Windows 8, you can also bring forward your existing applications and use them in the very familiar desktop environment.

From a memory perspective, we’ve taken advantage of the fact that there will be some set of devices on which users will stay in the immersive, Metro style UI almost all the time. In this instance, Windows 8 will only initialize OS components unique to the desktop environment when necessary. This is another source of memory savings, approximately 23MB right now."
    I'm really anxious to see what the final product will look and feel.

Papo, Oct 18, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question