What do you predict for Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BetaMan, Jun 17, 2010.

1. BetaMan

Kougar Moderator

Well, it's not quite that simple! There was Windows NT and 2000 too, and both of those were a success.

I think Win 8 will be a success. For my opinion, it's a bit early to comment as to how much the tablet/handheld devices will affect the success of Windows 8, but they could very well make the difference between a small and a huge success depending how it plays out. But even without them I think Windows 8 will carry itself and be a moderate success. If people don't want Metro they can just turn it off and use Windows 8 as if it was 7, but with all the new improvements.

Hmm, curious but you may be on to something here. A Windows 8 Starter 32bit, perhaps? That would cause lots of headaches to driver makers though, if only one version of Windows 8 required completely separate drivers than all the rest.

As for 32bit vs 64bit numbers, Valve's steam hardware survey is as good as it gets. 41% use Seven 64bit, and 9.5% use Seven 32bit. That split has never been so large, especially when Seven first debuted. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey Can probably safely blame the uptake in RAM sizes as the main driver behind such a rapid swing in 64bit adoption.

Kougar, Sep 28, 2011
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. BetaMan

draceena

I see Windows 8 on a standard PC to be mostly MEH and it will really only shine on phones, tablets, and touchscreen computers unless they allow the standard PC crowd to delete the Metro Interface.

draceena, Oct 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. BetaMan

Mike

While at the moment I'm less than impressed by Windows 8 for standard PC user's in my opinion with the advent of a seemingly endless number of tablets on the way as well as touch-centric devices, Win8 will no doubt find it's success there, more so than in the traditional PC desktop user. One more thing to consider, with Microsoft's sheer number of installed user's and it's on-going relationships with OEM PC makers Windows 8 will be shipped in very large numbers forcing the Metro user interface upon new user's and in that it will be gauged a big hit.. Where Microsoft will have an issue will be with production PC type user, i.e. business, graphic desinger, etc. and Windows 8 will be a very hard sell there and can see the same story play itself out that happened with Vista. Then there is alway's Ubuntu which I for one have come to embrace more and more.

Mike, Oct 1, 2011
  4. BetaMan

Kougar Moderator

I forget where, but it was already stated users could switch between interfaces. This was only a developer preview to showcase what the OS can do on tablets and touch devices, and was never meant to be a beta release.

Kougar, Oct 1, 2011
    clifford likes this.
  5. BetaMan

antstubell

Some valid points here, I agree MS are trying to bridge the gap between the OS on your home PC and your phone. Very smart. As an avid gamer with a lot of ram, big screens. couple of top notch gr. cards in there - so far as a gamer I see no point in the Metro UI and I can't even access my programs like Gr. cards settings, sound settings. basic stuff that was a couple of clicks away in XP and Win7 is not there anymore. I still think MS are chasing Steve Jobs success R.I.P Steve but he invented machines which you couldn't physically change any hardware and every few years or months needed his new product. Great business plan and made billions but the heart of a true gamer is getting more punch, more OCing out of your machine and the pleasure of buying that new Gr. card and watching your games liven up. An analogy would be being a hot rod lover or a fan of a particular brand of car - nothing better than adding that little something which makes it kick more, look better or go faster. That is what PC gamers love and Windows 8 - so far - has just changed the colour of the seats.

antstubell, Oct 7, 2011
  6. BetaMan

davehc

You can switch to the "normal" interface, when required, by simply tapping the desktop icon. But you still remain, although on the familiar desktop, with the new START, which returns you to the Metro window. However, for those who want to see the other aspects of Windows 8, related to its performance rather than eye candy, it is very easy to disable the metro menu and return to the Windows 7 menu. The overall performance, under those conditions, gives a little more sparkle than Windows 7 Not a lot, in my case, but others have ha a better experience! Fwiw, it also gives the lesser opportunity to run IE10. (Which I am using now)
    My major complaint, as a "clean" desktop user, is the clutter. If you select a program, it obscures other icons underneath. Hopefully this will be remedied in the Beta release with more customisation opportunities.
    Hopeless for those who like a picture as there background - there is not a lot of it to be seen!

davehc, Oct 7, 2011
  7. BetaMan

davehc

Since my previous posts, this was brought to my attention. There is some good reasoning there. Thinking of previous usage, I also rarely use the menu, be it Windows 8 or 7. My only contradictory remark would be. If that is how Microsoft view the use of the menu, why waste so much time, with such radical and controversial changes to it
    Once again, as I said many months ago. It is becoming more and more obvious that this OS is not a successor to Windows 7. It is destined to be a tablet alternative. (imo)

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...icrosoft-defends-its-murder-of-the-start-menu

davehc, Oct 8, 2011
  8. BetaMan

rowal5555

I think it will be the same scenario as usual. Diehards will stick with what they've got (XP) until it dies, then go for the latest. Corporates are in the same boat really. It costs them so much to upgrade that when they are forced to, they will also go for the latest.
    Personally, I got Windows 7 the first day it came out and never went back to XP. Same with Win 8, I was one of the 500,000 downloaders in the first 12 hours (wondered why it took 7-8 hours, LOL) and use it all the time. Getting to the Restart/Shutdown button annoyed me, but pressing the WinLogo key + I will take you straight to the Settings Pane and the power button.
    Early days though - no doubt there will be many changes prior to release day.
    Cheers

rowal5555, Oct 8, 2011
  9. BetaMan

davehc

Ctrl+Alt+Del an then in the right hand corner does it for me. Horses for course. It is what you quickly become adjusted to, I guess.

davehc, Oct 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question