What do you predict for Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BetaMan, Jun 17, 2010.

1. BetaMan

BetaMan

Do you think people will love it or hate it? I guess that's the question. I mean, Vista sucked and 7 is great and already they're working on 8... What do you think? I have a strange feeling that it will be a fail. This could be fun.

BetaMan, Jun 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. BetaMan

clifford (c_c)

I think people will be happy with Win7 and not bother with Win8. I don't really see Win8 getting that much success. However, I could be wrong.

clifford, Jun 17, 2010
    Mike likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. BetaMan

BetaMan

I agree with you. People are pretty stoked with 7 right now. I think people have also been impressed with the comeback that Microsoft has made from Vista (pardon my language) in such a short amount of time. A good amount will go for it to see how much better/worse it is and a good amount will stay.

BetaMan, Jun 18, 2010
  4. BetaMan

Ian Administrator

I think Windows 8 will be a sucess, but I as it's coming hot on the heels of Windows 7, I think there will still be plenty of people using an older OS for many years to come.

It's many of the small, incremental changes that I like to see. I probably like Windows 7 more now than I did when it first came out :).

Ian, Jun 25, 2010
  5. BetaMan

BetaMan

I think Microsoft took such a huge step with W7 that there may not be too many changes in W8. I'm thinking it's gonna be kind-of a Windows 95 to Windows 98 type of thing.

BetaMan, Jul 1, 2010
  6. BetaMan

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I think Windows 8 will push to next edge of computing.

I believe that 128 Bit computing will be available with Win 8 also.

Only time will tell though!

Nibiru2012, Jul 21, 2010
  7. BetaMan

sdmnysimon

take a look at past os system that have been produced from 98 to win7 98 was a success, Me was a failure, xp was a success, vista was a failure, win7 success.... if following there current record win 8 will be a failure ]
    ( not saying that it will be just looking at passed os systems

sdmnysimon, Nov 22, 2010
  8. BetaMan

BetaMan

Oh yeah! I've been noticing that, but look at all the in-between operating systems; you've got CE, NT Workstation 4.0, 95, 2000, Codename: Longhorn (Windows server 2k5), all of which were good/bad in between themselves. So I dunno.

BetaMan, Nov 23, 2010
  9. BetaMan

sdmnysimon

I did forget about them. as u said they were good/bad themselves

sdmnysimon, Nov 23, 2010
  10. BetaMan

cheth

I hope to see new style like 3D animation on background and slide icon for icon on the desktop like in the phone.

cheth, Nov 25, 2010
  11. BetaMan

sdmnysimon

that would be a cool new feature

sdmnysimon, Nov 27, 2010
  12. BetaMan

BetaMan

Yeah, a few new visuals would be nice. I really can't think of many major working system-related things that I would really like to see, but you never know until you know.

BetaMan, Dec 1, 2010
  13. BetaMan

sdmnysimon

i was reading somewhere that 32 bit is gone. then we have 64 bit and 128 bit is that true

sdmnysimon, Mar 18, 2011
  14. BetaMan

Ian Administrator

I'll be glad if 32-bit support disappears, as almost every new CPU for the last 5 years is x64 capable - so there's a limit on how old a PC a new OS can support. Windows 7 will still be around and supported for many years, so there's no desperate need for older 32-bit hardware systems to upgrade to Windows 8.

That said, Windows 7 is probably the first OS where 64-bit installations outnumber 32-bit... so we're still only at the start of major x64 uptake. A small part of me wouldn't be surprised if MS do decide to provide a 32-bit desktop client OS, but restrict other editions of Windows 8 to x64 (like Windows 2008 R2 already does).

Ian, Mar 19, 2011
  15. BetaMan

jargonbust

i think it will be a success
    i have watched the video on youtube
    it for touch panels basically and also for pointing devices
    its awesome check it out

jargonbust, Aug 3, 2011
  16. BetaMan

Papo

There are two possibilities: It may be a success like Win 7 or a failure like Vista or ME. I don’t know why a company with such resources would sell a bad product; IMO Microsoft plot with Win ME and Vista was to use the public as test bed for product improvements “and to increase revenue”. One would think that would backfire through customer dissatisfaction, but as soon as customers began to move away from Windows with talk about Linux and so for, Microsoft came back with a far superior product, e.g. Win XP and Win 7.

I for one can’t wait to test that OS on a tablet like the one Amazon is coming out with; that, at least to me, make its worth the waiting.

Papo, Aug 18, 2011
  17. BetaMan

Mike

While not impressed so far with Windows 8, I can tell you that based on past MS History the future of it will be most likely the same as those that came before it. MS will no doubt get the Dell's and Gateway's of this world to saturate the market with this OS till the consumer driven public has no choice but to use it. Then they will claim it is a win for them. However, a lot remains to be seen if MS can convince the business and production (sector) type PC users that the Metro UI is anything but a complete failure in terms of productivity. I've mentioned this before, however it's worth mentioning here as well, MS need's to convince Photoshop and AutoCad type user's out there as well as programmer's that Window's 8 is a benefit rather than a hindrance. My prediction is , ( all tech wrtiers who drink the MS kool-aid aside) they will face a huge uphill battle.

Mike, Sep 22, 2011
  18. BetaMan

Thrax

Just wanted to clear this up: desktop PCs are nowhere close to 128-bit, and neither is Microsoft.

Thrax, Sep 22, 2011
  19. BetaMan

davehc

On another forum, there was speculation, after an early leak, on it's future. These were my comments. I am now using Windows 8 regularly to try out it's quirks. So far my opinion has not changed but - early days.

First Posted: Mon jan 3, 2011 8:17 am
    " Windows (codename 8) is , imho, beginning to shape up as the biggest disapointment ever for those who jump on the new release bandwagons. I have read posts on this forum and others, regarding the reaction to the "leaks". I have downloaded and tried the last two leaks. The so-called "hidden" features are, at this stage, nothing to swoon about.
    Fwiw, I see Windows 8, or whatever it may be called, not as a move on from the superb 7, but an intermediary release, mainly dedicated to tablet users. Tablets, in their many forms, are enroaching on Microsofts control of the computer market. Windows 8 is an attempt to counteract it. For normal, non tablet users, I do not see, (with the info so far available to us), windows 8 bringing any evo or rev olution into our lives. Except, possibly, the touchscreen advancement? I would add that, as with 7 post Vista, so far, I see no reason why the "extras" could notb have been offered as add-ons or updates to Windows 7.
    - - - -
    I would agree with xxxxx's first post. But I do not think it will be so blessed with bugs as the first release of Vista, as, it seems to me, it is piggy backing Windows 7 to a huge extent.
    Mind you this is a developer's preview version not even beta.
    - - - - - -
    Another poster. ::When you change the Start menu back to W7 that's would pretty much changing it back to Window 7
    - - - - -
    Ah, lol, You noticed!!"""
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I am currently trying out various performance issues. I always use a very average computer for this purpose. So far I can see it has an edge over Windows 7, but not something I would care to invest (guess) £100 (or more!) on.

davehc, Sep 23, 2011
  20. BetaMan

antstubell

W8 is all about bridging the gap between the OS on a windows phone and the OS on you home PC. In principal a good idea but basically they are looking to take business from Steve Jobs - the iphone. It's bad business to chase a product - the iphone that is massively used by the world. What MS are good at is is good OS, yes Vista and ME sucked which led to the Mac making massive come back. W7 - can't fault it but MS are jumping into a whole new market with the Metro , a market they don't control. The reason the new OS is free to download is because they don't know if it works. So far I'm not impressed. I am a power user and having access to all my hardware functions is what I like. I don't like not having a Menu to find my programs and navigate to discovering where I can uninstall it. I have been using the OS since it came out but so far have seen nothing to make me consider buying it - when it available for purchase.. Its a phone! Have you not noticed that?
    The difference between Mac and MS has always been "throw in whatever your want and Windows will make it work" with Apple has always been "you get what it says on the box - deal with it" MS is shifting away from their original statement of "a PC is what you make it - a personal computer". It's not personal when you're told what you can and can't do.
    Marketing and making money that's the bottom line

antstubell, Sep 24, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question