What do you hate about Windows 8 and what do you like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DRFP, Nov 21, 2012.

1. DRFP

DRFP

What do you hate?

I hate........
    The UI start screen
    the shortcuts
    No start button on desktop
    Every App I install is now on the start screen including the uninstall links
    The log on and lock screen
    Ugly UI no glass

What I like........
    Fast
    Easy to use a program to bring back the start button
    Seems as stable as windows 7

Since I was lucky to get a free copy I'm not sure I would of upgraded otherwise

DRFP, Nov 21, 2012
    tanzanos likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. DRFP

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I can't think of what I hate about it. Maybe the fact that, when I was using Windows 7 and I would boot up the computer, I could drink a cup of coffee waiting for it to load. Now, with 8, it takes 15 seconds to boot, so I don't have time to finish my cup in peace before the login screen pops up.

I like the new GUI better than the shitty Aero.
    I like the Start Screen better than the Start Menu, and wouldn't think of using a third-party app to bring the old menu back.
    I like the fast file transfers and the accurate time estimates.
    Some of the Metro apps are pretty good, just wish I could run those in windows if I wanted.

Core, Nov 21, 2012
    davehc likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. DRFP

tanzanos

I hate the touch screen based philosophy of win 8 and especially METRO. The lack of a start button, classic menus, and the lack of booting directly to desktop by getting totally rid of Metro.
    Fast boot times are not important as I use my PC professionally and I turn it on once a day.

I like the lightness (not a resource hog) but that is all.

I will only consider "downgrading" to win 8 if I can totally remove METRO. :)

tanzanos, Nov 21, 2012
  4. DRFP

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I am getting more used to it. I really do like the fast file transfer times, much better than Windows 7, plus the little graph that pops up showing the transfer speed.

Aero is not a deal breaker for me personally. It was basically just a bunch of eye-candy which some low-end graphics cards were unable to run.

Yes, daveHC and Core, I even uninstalled the Start8 menu app and am using Windows 8 in it's full pristine version. :eek: :cool:

Nibiru2012, Nov 21, 2012
    Core likes this.
  5. DRFP

DRFP

Yes I like the faster boot but I cannot get Hybrid sleep to work, Something keeps waking the computer.

Read another article last night negative about Windows 8, I think the problem is the UI and the start screen, I'm sorry but I have to admit I do not find on a non touch screen computer that the UI is intuitive, it seems like its harder to use. If Microsoft would of released two versions of software, Windows 8 and 7.5 or something like that with 7.5 like 7 without the UI windows 8 has and the start button this would have gone over better I think.

DRFP, Nov 21, 2012
  6. DRFP

jubbly

Like:

Fast boot and shutdown.
    Speed of the OS on my old computer.
    Task manager.

Hate:

Nothing really except a few bugs that I am sure will be ironed out and the fact I had to buy a graphics card.

jubbly, Nov 21, 2012
  7. DRFP

Octagon

Like: new, refreshing, and entertaining experience; finally Japanese IME works; finally usable Task/Resource manager; finally usable Explorer; finally mounts ISO images; finally properly unmounts USB devices; endless source of jokes.

Hate: looks like 95% debugged junk; could be much better; next Patch Tuesday too far (need it to dare to come back to Windows 8 after the Start Screen got frozen).

Octagon, Nov 21, 2012
  8. DRFP

benj0145

I have to say I really like the new UI, including Metro (amazingly). I actually feel that the new start is an improvement, certainly on touch devices. It seems very usable on a desktop machine, I love how much more accessible the new apps are within the start page.

I really dont like that programs you install do not get metro styled icons/tiles. It makes the start page look a bit jumbled and messy.

benj0145, Nov 22, 2012
    DRFP likes this.
  9. DRFP

DRFP

I also like 8 because its better for lower end systems, I put it on a celeron dual core 2gb ram system yesterday, works OK

DRFP, Nov 25, 2012
  10. DRFP

Victor Leigh

Can't think of anything that I hate about Windows 8. That's mainly because I switched to Windows 8 after seeing all my friends having a great time with their touch screen smartphones. Since I am not prepared to buy a smartphone, Windows 8 is the nearest thing I can get to a touch screen. Of course, I can't really use the touch screen feature of Windows 8 since I don't have a touch screen monitor. However, I can emulate the touch screen feature with my mouse. Quite a neat trick, actually.

The other reason I switched to Windows 8 was because I read that it's lighter on resources than Windows 7. Now that I have installed Windows 8 and tested it with World of Warcraft, I know that this is true. Actually, it's quite logical. Windows 8 was designed for tablets. Tablets, generally speaking, have less processing power than desktops. So anything that works on a tablet must logically work well with less resources.

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
    DRFP likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question