What are the rules for an Avatar?

Discussion in 'Announcements, Suggestions and Feedback' started by clifford, Mar 13, 2011.

1. clifford

clifford (c_c)

I noticed my avatar was no longer animated. While some prefer not to have animation, there are those who would like to have animation. I had thought about loosing my animation but had not made that decision yet.

While checking the Avatar upload part of the forum, I noticed my Avatar is still Animated just not on the forum pages. Then I noticed a message below the browse for a avatar address box. The message stated it was recommended that an Avatar of at least 200x200 was used. Thats twice the size of the Avatar on w7forums.

Has the animation been removed by choice?
    What dimensions and file size avatar do we need to use in our profile?

clifford, Mar 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. clifford

Ian Administrator

It looks like the image re-sizing software used to turn the gif in to your avatar doesn't support animation (yet!):

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/thanks-for-making-the-avatar-changes.8782/page-2#post-121944

It's not explicity denied by the forum software, so I hope it's something they fix soon enough (if not, I'll see if I can code a fix in) :). In a few months time, XenForo should be much improved - and we'll have a nice new design by then.

From what I understand, 200x200 and upwards is recommended as the avatar is resized for use in different places - so having a large avatar will fill the 200x200 space in the profile without streching, but also re-size smaller without a loss (as opposed to the other way round).

Ian, Mar 14, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question