What are the major advances in Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cluckis, May 5, 2012.

1. cluckis

cluckis

I dont have a dev copy of 8, so I would like to know what is different. I'm sorry if I sound like I don't know anything, but I haven't really heard about Windows 8 until now. I really enjoy Windows 7 and Vista, but if the advances in 8 prove to be sufficient to me, I might consider updating when it comes out. If anyone could let me know, that would be great! Thanks!

cluckis, May 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. cluckis

Victor Leigh

1. You can download a copy of Windows 8. For free.
    2. You don't have to upgrade. You can dual boot.
    3. The first thing you will notice about Windows 8 is 'Where is the start button?'

That should get you off to a good start.

Victor Leigh, May 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. cluckis

cluckis

Sorry to ask this, but where is the free download, and is there any specific specs you need for running Windows 8?

EDIT: I found the Microsoft Download link, I will install it tomorrow, thanks.

cluckis, May 5, 2012
  4. cluckis

Victor Leigh

Please let us know how hours it took for you to download that. When I downloaded it, it trickled along at 10-15kbps, so it took me about 15 hours. And my connection was fiber optic at 20mbps.

As for the specs, anything can run Windows 7 can run Windows 8.

5. cluckis

cluckis

Yes, I see my old Windows Vista can run it as well, downloading it know. My usual download speed is 1.5, so it will probably take more than 15 hours. I will let it run over night and see how far it gets. Thanks!

cluckis, May 5, 2012
  6. cluckis

Victor Leigh

Good luck with your download. I really wonder why Microsoft is throttling the download speed. They could actually set it up as a torrent download and make things go a lot faster. After all it's to their advantage to have as many people as possible trying out Windows 8.

7. cluckis

LosAngelesLover

It took me 20 hours to download. It's slow and pretty annoying, I get faster speeds when downloading WoW. I'm not a big fan of the no-start button, to be perfectly honest. It looks like it was meant for a phone, not an operating system for a computer.

LosAngelesLover, May 5, 2012
  8. cluckis

cluckis

Ok, so I have some updates. It took about 3 hours to download, which was amazing considering the times people have reported. As of now, it is about 50% done installing. Now this is only on the first dialog, so I don't know if theres any more downloading after the installing is complete. Also, I'm just going to put the specs of the computer I'm using.
    • Windows Vista Home Premium (Windows 8 soon)
    • Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Advanced Graphics (I think AMD, but im not sure)
    • Dell Studio 1537
    • About 3 years old
    EDIT: I just started the installation about 15 mins ago.

cluckis, May 5, 2012
  9. cluckis

cluckis

Ok, so the installation is done. Windows 8 took about 5 hours total. Last time I checked my download speed it was 1.5 download and 0.3 upload, so that's pretty good. I like the layout of the start screen. I will continue to explore!

cluckis, May 5, 2012
    Ian likes this.
  10. cluckis

Victor Leigh

Welcome to the club. I liked Windows 8 right from the start. This is more significant because I am a Linux user. I migrated to Linux when I found Windows taking up more and more resources with each new version. Now Windows 8 may be going back to what computing should be about, which is making the most use of the least resources.

Victor Leigh, May 6, 2012
  11. cluckis

davehc

I'm a bit late but, in you OP, I guess you mean different to Windows 7?
    Well. To amend the second post in the thread. No splitting hairs, but Windows 8 will not be free. The public release preview is free, as was Windows 7 So not a difference.
    Upgrade? on a beta? Not sure how to get hold of that, but you could also dual boot Windows 7, automatically, on install - not a difference.
    The opening start page is, with windows 8, all graphical and primarily intended for touch screens.It is possible to continue into a more familiar desktop, but without the legacy start menu.
    Apart from that, there are some small general improvements in performance. There is a claim of faster startup and shut down times. These are, to a large extent, brought about by early adjustments to the registry, and a lack of items to load. The shutdown can be equaled in Windows 7 by altering the individual close speeds for programs. Startup is still to be thoroughly examined, with the later releases. Neither of these two items are considered very important to most stationary users, who tend, these days, to have their computers on most of the time.
    One claimed improvement is more efficient use of ram. The intention here is that, therefore, not so much ram is needed in laptops, thus more efficient battery usage. Again, in stationarys, it is not a great feature as many users have more ram installed than they need
    But try it. It has created some controversial issues, but the jury is still out.
    P.S. My test computer is nothing to get excited about. Even less is my ISP package, but , like yourself, I seem to remember I downloaded it from the Microsoft site in about 3 hours or less.But, when you say, quote "Ok, so the installation is done. Windows 8 took about 5 hours total." what do you mean? Is that including the download time, in which case the installation took 2 hours?? That is very slow?

davehc, May 6, 2012
  12. cluckis

cluckis

Yes, I know that the public release (if that's the proper term) will not be free. I could tell instantly that it was for touch screens, however Microsoft has used this same look and feel with the Xbox 360. Which isn't a touch screen. If you would have looked in the pervious posts, it says it took about 3 hours to download, and 2 to install. A grand total of 5. It actually makes more sense to me if it was very slow, the computer I'm using has a few problems... Sorry for the confusion.

cluckis, May 6, 2012
  13. cluckis

Victor Leigh

Three hours to download is very fast. I took 15 hours to finish the downloading. Two hours for the installation, on the other hand, is very slow. My laptop is old but it took less than 30 minutes to finish installing. That 3 hours and 2 hours thing seems to be a bit odd.

Victor Leigh, May 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question