What are some programs that make using Windows 8 easier?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Qamra, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Qamra

Qamra

I'm about to get a new laptop and I might get Windows 8, however I only used this OS on my phone and I know it's really different to Windows 7.
    Are there any programs you installed to avoid problems and make your experience better?

Qamra, Oct 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Qamra

davehc

The one which is outstanding (you have to pay but it is ridiculously cheap), is modernmix. I enables you to open ALL programs, including Apps, on the legacy desktop. You can resize them as you wish.

http://www.stardock.com/products/modernmix/

fwiw. If you use a third party start menu, such as classic shell, the os can be precisely like windows 7 - no worries.

davehc, Oct 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Qamra

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Yet one more attempt, by me, to convince someone who doesn't even own a computer with Windows 8 on it yet, that Windows 8 isn't the operating system from hell.

Almost a couple years ago now, when Microsoft (Steve Ballmer) first starting hinting about Windows 8 and how it was "Re-imagining Windows", everyone including myself was hopeful with excitement about the prospect.

Fast forward to present day and it would seem that everyone's "imagination" has gone into full lock down mode. I cannot explain it, I'm not sure if it was too much, too little, too easy, too hard or just to unimaginable.

Honestly Windows 8 doesn't need anything to "make it better" or make it "easier". You've mentioned that you have it on you phone so the new tiled interface is not going to be a problem and apparently at some point you've used Wndows 7, so the desktop environment is not going to be a problem.

Challenge yourself, take the time to experience the new Operating System as it was intended. Immediately upgrade to Windows 8.1 if your new machine doesn't come with it pre-installed already.

And then..... get used to it. Because I'm pretty sure that Windows 9 (or whatever it's going to be called) is going to be more of the same. This isn't a fad, the hybrid OS to support cross platform devices is here, here to stay and a thing of the future. Apple/Mac as well as Linux are already taking steps towards attempts at consolidating their desktop / mobile operating systems into a cross platform hybrid.

Trouble, Oct 14, 2013
    Sugarhill and davehc like this.
  4. Qamra

Sugarhill

I will never understand the fear of an OS by people that fancy themselves tech savvy. Something is not adding up.

Sugarhill, Oct 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question