Well Microsoft This Is Another Fine Mess

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dipsy, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Dipsy

Dipsy

Still messing with the sleep mode problem and decided to try a refresh option. Problem is the refresh program says I need a recovery environment and to insert the program disc. There is no disc for Windows 8.1 since Microsoft made it a download and install from the store and didn't provide a disc option. Looks like the only avenue is to put my Windows 8 disc in and let it revert my computer to Windows 8 which will probably require a clean install and loss of files and programs, but, I guess that might not be such a bad idea although I'd much rather try a refresh and keep all files and programs.

Dipsy, Nov 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Dipsy

davidhk129

For your future reference.................
    Windows 8.1 has the following options :
    1. To create a Repair disc.
    2. To create a Recovery Drive media ( DVD or USB Flash ), to refresh or reset your PC, or to troubleshoot problems even when it can't start.
    3. System Image Backup which will bring the system back to the status/conditions when the image backup is created.

If you have the above at your disposal, reverting back to Win 8 route will not be necessary.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    davidhk129, Nov 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Dipsy

Dipsy

Good morning David. Only problem now is my backup would include whatever reason the sleep mode isn't working problem. I thinking now that a complete reinstall might be the way to go and I can troubleshoot the problem from a clean system and add programs back one at a time until I find whatever started the problem. If I start with a bare bones Windows 8 and Windows Defender AV for protection and sleep mode works I can go with the 8.1 upgrade and if it still works go on from there.

Dipsy, Nov 30, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question