Weird Windows 8. w/Media Center x64 issue

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by brkkab123, Nov 18, 2013.

1. brkkab123

brkkab123

Ever since upgrading from Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center x64 to Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center x64, Media Center can't play any Recorded TV shows. I get the following Error Message each time :Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or Restart the computer. I've done each numerous times. I've also, re-installed the Nvidia 331.65 driver's for my GTX 760 video card and restarted my pc. Recorded TV still won't play any tv show's, with the same error message each time. My Hauppage WinTV HVR-1850 is up to date and play's Live TV fine in Media Center. My Logitech 5.1 speaker's also, work and have the latest Realtek HD driver's. Cyberlink Media Suite 10 has all updates and PowerDVD play's blu-ray's fine in Media Center. The only codec's I have are what Cyberlink installed. Everything worked fine in 8 Pro w/M.C. x64, but not in 8.1. Even did a clean install of 8 Pro x64 Friday. Then added W.M.C. and then got all updates. Restarted pc and got/installed 8.1 Pro w/M.C. from the store. After it was installed, I updated it and restarted pc. Then, I installed all driver's 8.1 driver's where available and 8 driver's where 8.1 driver's weren't available. Then I installed all software and got any updates for them.

brkkab123, Nov 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. brkkab123

brkkab123

Also, another new issue I've noticed. My music, pictures and videos used to show differently, than it does now. These screenshot's will show the current look. The pictures screenshot where I put a red circle, is how the three folder's used to look. I haven't changed anything in folder options and Bitdefender Internet Security 2014, SUPERAntiSpyware Pro and Malwarebytes free haven't found any threats. I also, did Safe Mode scans.

Attached Files:

brkkab123, Nov 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. brkkab123

MyDigitalpoint

Since Windows XP? I hate to have Windows Media managing the way I want to store my music collection and I have always tried to avoid using Windows Media but other Multimedia players instead.

I have not tried Windows 8 Media Center for the same reason, but if you are already saying that it has weird issues, I think I must better keep avoiding it and use an alternative player ;)

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 20, 2013
  4. brkkab123

brkkab123

Here's a good one, the Recorded TV does play on my Xbox 360 extender, but still not in Windows Media Center. I can delete the tv shows after I watch them through my Xbox 360, but not in Windows Media Center on my pc. Definitely a weird, obvious Windows 8.1 bug, as it worked fine in Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center x64.

brkkab123, Nov 23, 2013
  5. brkkab123

MyDigitalpoint

See? This is really what scares me about upgrading to Windows 8.1.

Till date everything seems to run fine over Windows 8, and until I don't find how to make fresh install (if needed) to step back to 8, I think I won't get 8.1 yet.

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 26, 2013
  6. brkkab123

brkkab123

**SOLVED** I got that issue fixed. It was apparently something I forgot about when upgrading my NVidia video driver's. I forgot to go the custom route and have it cleanup the old driver's. However 8.1 still has some serious issues that Microsoft need's to fix. I think the problem on their end, is that they're restructuring and looking for a new C.E.O. Personallly, I think they really should've gotten those thing's all handled, before releasing anything. Windows 8.1 - numerous problems and Xbox One - more problems, including faulty blu-ray drive's that don't work out of the box. I don't know about Office 2013 or 365 issues, as I'm not interested in either. I've only had Office 2010, since July. I'm not at all interested in the software as a service/$100.00 per year crap on everything.

brkkab123, Nov 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question