Upgrading my MSI GT70-2OD to 8.1

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Karl, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Karl

Karl

Hey there, everybody, I'd really appreciate some help. MSI has this scary scary upgrade page (http://event.msi.com/2013/win8-1/upgrade_instructions.html) where they instruct me to uninstall "both Nvidia and Intel VGA driver" as if there is one of each. I have 4 different Nvidia programs and 5 different Intel programs (none of which self-reference as a VGA driver). I was hoping someone could tell me which Nvidia/Intel programs/drivers I should get rid of. Someone on another forum told me I should just go for the upgrade without uninstalling anything and just update them after the upgrade, but there are a lot of bricked laptops and sad kiddies on the official MSI forum and I'd rather avoid being one of them. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated--please tell me if you need more information.

Karl, Jun 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Karl

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I will generally use this program to cleanly uninstall display drivers http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/downloads.html
    Best run in safe mode. If you're not sure how to start your machine in safe mode you should probably Goggle it.
    If you don't like that one then this one will also work as I have used it in the past http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion/
    For the first one just pick the display driver you want to remove.
    In the second one be sure to pick the corresponding name and the icon with the Monitor on it, otherwise you'll end up yanking your chipset driver and that's not a good thing.
    Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

Trouble, Jun 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Karl

Karl

Yeah, that's a good idea to run the windows update in safe mode; I'll probably do that whenever I get around to it.

And those utilities you provided for uninstalling graphics drivesr are interesting, and I'll definitely use them, but my main concern is which particular Nvidia programs/drivers do I uninstall and which do I leave installed. I have this fear that there is only one combination of uninstalled/installed graphics drivers that wont result in my laptop bricking. As you can see, MSI is not very helpful on that detail. :/

Karl, Jun 13, 2014
  4. Karl

The page you linked to says... "Uninstall both NVIDIA and Intel VGA driver."
    It doesn't say anything about any "programs".
    Those two utilities will do that .... and only that, if you are careful.
    And I didn't say anything about "Yeah, that's a good idea to run the windows update in safe mode; I'll probably do that whenever I get around to it."
    As a matter of fact, it will not likely run in safemode.
    I was simply stating that the first utility I linked to recommends that it be run in safe mode.

Trouble, Jun 13, 2014
  5. Karl

Karl

Yeah, sorry, I'm not as savvy as yourself or a lot of other people in this forum, I'm sure. The distinction between program and driver is pretty much lost on me (I'm guessing a driver is a program but not vice versa?)

Haha, "and only that, if you are careful" makes me a little nervous. Is it pretty obvious in the application what it's removing? Like, will there be a clear little checkbox that says "Delete only the drivers" or something?

I see, thank you for the clarification. My apologies for misreading. P.S. someone else with a lot of posts in a different forum said that I should just ignore MSI's upgrade page, and go ahead and upgrade the OS and then try to upgrade whatever needs updating afterwards. He seemed to think there was zero risk of anything really bad (e.g. irreversible) happening to the laptop. What's your second opinion on that approach?

Karl, Jun 16, 2014
  6. Karl

My second opinion is......
    That he is probably right although I wouldn't assess the potential risk as zero and I would certainly backup everything that was important to me beforehand, but I would do that automatically when considering an OS Upgrade.

Trouble, Jun 16, 2014
  7. Karl

Karl

Alrighty, I went ahead and just did the update and have had little to no problems. The only enduring issue is this touchpad; whenever the laptop starts up, the "disable touchpad" button is flashing (and usually the on-screen indicator is flashing as well between the touchpad being disabled and enabled). The work-around is that I just alt-tab, and for some reason that stops the flashing button and makes the touchpad functional. The only reason this is an issue is because that same work-around doesn't help when the computer is being woken up from sleep. I already updated the touchpad drivers to the newest version, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I've already sent a ticket to MSI about it.

Karl, Jun 20, 2014
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question