Upgrade problem from Win 7 to Win 8

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by LoneWolfMage, Jan 11, 2013.

1. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Greetings all~

Wasn't sure if I should post here or on the sister site(Win7forums) due to the nature of the issue. If it would be better suited there there I will post there as well :)

Issue: A friend of mine purchased a retail copy of Windows 8 pro from a local (brick and mortar) retailer. He currently has a Windows 7 Laptop. Not sure of the EXACT spces but I do know that, given the age of the system(of about 2 or 3 years old), it is more than appropriate for the installation/upgrade to Windows 8.

Esentially, what happens is Windows 8 goes through the 'proper motions' for doing an "in-place(non destructive) upgrade" UNTIL... the final boot sequence there it says (to the effect) Windows 8 upgrade coud not complete, reverting back to Windows 7.

He has ran( and i have seen the results) of the Win 8 upgrade advisor. He has uninstalled what was recommened( bit defender, bit locker, google tool bar as well as a couple other programs), he has also removed/unplugged any USB peripherals. The only thing that it (the advisor) says at this point is the "secure boot" for windows 8 is not compatabile with his BIOS, which hes not totally worried about. ( mine isn't either and my desktop system is older than his laptop and I was able to run the release prevew on mine with no problems with the "secure boot" until i decided to uninstall it and revert back to Windows 7)

He still cannot get the system to "accept" the upgrade to Win 8. He has tried the procedure at least 4 times. Since the retail store WILL NOT allow him to return the disk for a refund of purchase (69$) he's quite frustrated.

Any advice woudl be appreciated.

LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Jan 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. LoneWolfMage

bassfisher6522

I would recommend getting all drivers updated including the BIOS before attempting the install. Once that is done, I would partition a drive and do a clean install on that drive. You will have to change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD.

bassfisher6522, Jan 11, 2013
    LoneWolfMage likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Bassfisher~

Thanks for that advice.

As far as I am aware (dont and cant acctually have physical possession of system) per my friend as well as doing a remote asstiance, all drivers are current. The BIOS I belive he did mention he DID update it ( with some reservations about it due to the fact that the only problem he is having is doing the Win 8 upgrade).

In regards to the partition idea. I did mention that to him as well, however that IS one thing he does NOT want to do.(He's quite adamant about it)

He also would like to avoid at all costs having to do a full reformat and fresh install. He's got ALOT of information that he woudl rather not take the cnace of not being able to replace should something go wrong. HOWEVER, I did mention to him that that would more than likely be the best option he has and most frequently mentioned solution. IF he has to do that he said he will consider it but would rather not.

One of the things he did notice, and I noticed it as well. When he ran the upgrade advisor AFTER uninsalling the Bit Locker software via the normal uninstall method, Bit locker and Bit Defender still showed up as a "issue". I'm wondering is there are stil lsome traces of it some how on his system. I have found that there IS a separate removal tool available, like with McAfee and Norton. I will suggest he run that as well as CCleaner and see if that solves the problem.

Meanwhile any other advice from you and others is apprecatied.

LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Jan 12, 2013
  4. LoneWolfMage

bassfisher6522

Sounds like you've got it under control...only other suggestion I would make is getting and external HDD and backup all data...eg pictures, documents, downloaded software, anything and everything. This way your client would retain all data even in the event of a HDD crash or failure, it's backed up and safe, even if you don't go through with installation of windows 8.

I've seen time after time on quite a few other forums that and upgrade install of 8 vs a clean install has been problematic, more so with windows 8 than any other OS. Back up data and do a clean install...Good luck.

bassfisher6522, Jan 12, 2013
    LoneWolfMage likes this.
  5. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Bit of an update here on this situation.

My freind tried doing a FULL(save nothing) install rather than an upgrade and still is having the same issue.

As far as the BIOS ...I did find out... that was the only thing he DIDN'T update. He didnt want to take the possible chance of something going wrong. Which I can understand.

You would think that since he is saving nothing on the system .. it would allow the install but it doesn't .. it keeps reverting back to W7.

SOOO he has basicially given up and gonna stick witn W7 until he gets a new system with W8 on it . Now he wants to figure out how and if he can get a refund for the retail software he purchased.

If this should be marked as solved, let me know and I'll do so. :)
    Thanks again Bassfisher for your advice.

LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Jan 13, 2013
  6. LoneWolfMage

bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522, Jan 13, 2013
    LoneWolfMage likes this.
  7. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Bassfisher~
    LOL .. you know .. for SOME STUPID REASON.... until you mentioned about booting from the DVD/CD to be 100% honest .. that didnt even cross my mind to ask him if that was what he was doing LOL

I only assumed that he was. Guess thats what I get for assuming :( SO after all is said and done now .. IF THERE WAS a "solved" option for the thread .. I WOULD mark it as such. :)

Issue is now SOLVED and hes happily (as much as happlily can be) running Win 8.

Thanks Bassfisher.

LoneWolfMage, Jan 14, 2013
  8. LoneWolfMage

bassfisher6522

Brain farts....gotta love em'...:)

bassfisher6522, Jan 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question