Upgrade install from Windows 7 question

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by brkkab123, Nov 1, 2012.

1. brkkab123

brkkab123

I'm going to be doing a upgrade install from Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64 to Windows 8 Pro x64 early tomorrow morning. I'm planning on letting the upgrade transfer everything from 7 to 8, as I did a clean install of 7 2weeks ago.
    I have a few questions first.
    #1. I already have the Windows Media Center product key. When I install WMC will Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 Ultra automatically show up in WMC? It's already installed & updated in 7 .
    #2.Will Silverlight transfer over or will I need to reinstall it after the upgrade ?

brkkab123, Nov 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. brkkab123

brkkab123

Upgrade install from 7 to 8 worked quite well. My games off of my ssd all stayed working perfectly. The only thing I needed to redo game wise was to redownload a few of my purchased addons for MS Flight, Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman Arkham City and Driver 3. All of which are through Games For Windows Live/Xbox Live.
    The only other hiccup was Norton Internet Security 2013 continue's to be extremely bugggggggggy. That's not a Windows 8 issue. It's a Symantec issue, as according to various review's, Symantec's own forums and personal experience with the 2013 version. All of their 2013 versions are extremely buggy since they were released and updated versions have continued that trend repeatedly.
    I'm sticking with Windows Defender until next month and then I'm getting Bitdefender or Kaspersky.
    P.S. Does anyone know how to setup scheduled scan's in Windows Defender ? I didn't see anything for doing so, in any of it's Setting's category.

brkkab123, Nov 3, 2012
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. brkkab123

Octagon

The Windows Defender Scheduler Scan task is predefined in the Task Scheduler. Looks like it is to be scheduled from there.

Octagon, Nov 3, 2012
  4. brkkab123

brkkab123

Thanks Ocagon. I don't need to worry about it now. I restored the System Image I did after upgrading Windows 7to Windows 8. Now Norton Internet Security is working again. If I have any more NIS issues, I'll just replace it with Bitdefender Internet Security 2013.

brkkab123, Nov 3, 2012
  5. brkkab123

JCM

I found that Norton Ghost 15 still works but won't accept a serial number. Norton said that they are working on it - that was almost 2 weeks ago.

JCM, Nov 15, 2012
  6. brkkab123

M K Loyalka

I want to upgrade from Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64 to Windows 8 Pro x64.
    I have Windows XP mode installed which allows me to use Windows Virtual PC in the XP 32 bit mode. This utility is provided by Microsoft with the Win 7 Professional 64 bit version and is very useful to me.
    Now my question is if I upgrade to Win 8 Pro will I get my Win XP mode and Windows Virtual PC carried to Win 8 or will I lose it? I can't afford to lose it so if that is the case then I will not upgrade to Win 8.
    Please advise.

M K Loyalka, Nov 15, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question