Upgrade fails

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Chip416, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Chip416

Chip416

I currently run Windows 8 on a Dell desktop with i7 processors. Every time I restart the computer, it tries to install an update. After awhile, I get a message that the update failed, and then it reverts back to its previous state and re-starts. I don't have a clue what is causing it to fail, or even what update it is trying to install. I'm not sure what additional info someone would need to even begin to diagnose this. I also don't know how to "reset" the upgrade so the machine would stop trying to upgrade.

Any ideas where to start to diagnose this?

Chip416, Dec 29, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Chip416

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I would expect that if you look here
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history
    And look for the word "Failed" under the "Status" column, it might indicate which Update is not succeeding.
    If you double click it you should see an informational box which might contain an error code and a link that may provide some additional insight.

EXAMPLE: FailedUpdate.png

Trouble, Dec 30, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question