Trouble logging in at startup.

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 10, 2013.

1. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Hi. I have an HP Envy X2.

When I have to restart the pc, or something causes it to shut down and I have to turn it on again, I have trouble logging in.

It comes to the password prompt, and I enter my password. When I finished entering my password and press Enter to login, nothing happens. It is as if I never pressed enter. I click on the little arrow thing to log in too, no response. It's not freezing, its just as if it doesn't register the enter key or the login button click.

After a couple hundred restarts it finally responds when I press enter. Sometimes I even need to refresh the pc!

It gets really irritating, and even more so due to the fact that I want to do a Windows Update in an attempt to solve the problem, but that also fails.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Does the same thing happen if you only use the Tablet section, with the On Screen Keyboard and Tap to logon?

Trouble, May 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Yes. the problem isn't the physical entering of the password. I can type the password perfectly, but as soon as I press enter, or tap the little arrow thing, nothing happens. It's not freezing, its just like "meh, I don't feel like logging in now."

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 11, 2013
  4. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Thanks was just wondering if there was an issue between the interface for the peripheral and thought that the tablet might behave differently when separated from the base.
    Sounds like it may be time to examine your warranty options as rebooting a couple hundred times doesn't seem very practical.
    They'll likely want you to perform a factory reset of the device before honoring any warranty claims so you may want to save yourself some trouble and do that in advance.
    Be sure to back up any critical data before moving forward.

Trouble, May 11, 2013
  5. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

Well, after another windows update the other day (one that actually completed) the login thing seems more or less solved! Since that update I have only gotten the problem once, and I only needed to restart once more to fix it.

PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa, May 22, 2013
  6. PSyCHoHaMSTeRZa

ksam911

Most of the times these kind of issues are related with the hybrid shutdown. Hybrid shutdown feature of Windows 8 decreases the total startup time by hibernating the kernel session instead of closing it which reduces the overall Windows loading time because starting it back up from a hibernated system session is very less work compared to a full system initialization.Have you tried disabling features like this? How about disabling logging in so you can avoid that problem? is that an option?

ksam911, May 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question