Transfer from USB card reader stalls on population

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Dynatnt1, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Dynatnt1

Dynatnt1

I have been having some strange issues with transfers from a USB 3.0 compact flash reader lately. When I start the transfer the speeds top out at 130 Mb/s but soon drop to 0 Mb/s. This seems to happen the moment that Windows 8 "populates" the Explorer window. When I am getting normal speeds explorer shows no files in it's window that have transferred. Once the files that have transferred populate the window the transfer drops significantly for the remaining transfer. I have recorded a small video to show this. Very bizarrre. Almost seems like an indexing thing.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5f3dhyfd4...20Transfer.mov

Thanks,
    Toby

Dynatnt1, Jan 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Dynatnt1

bassfisher6522

I see what you mean. The first thing I noticed is the file type....I don't recognize it. What type of device is this from and what type of storage media does this device use? Does the transfer ever complete?

bassfisher6522, Jan 28, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Dynatnt1

Dynatnt1

They are Canon DSLR raw files. CR2. They are coming from a compact flash card via a Lexar Card Reader.
    Yes the transfer finishes but takes forever.

Dynatnt1, Jan 28, 2014
  4. Dynatnt1

bassfisher6522

The only thing I can say that might be causing the drop is the total amount of files being transferred... 540 files is a lot and will take a long time. I know with the wife's Kodak camera, it has an 8 GB SDHC and when it's full it can take upwards of 10 minutes to complete the transfer.

Maybe somebody else with a DLSR camera that uses CF might jump in and share there thoughts.

bassfisher6522, Jan 28, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question