Transfer files from user A to user B

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crabmann, Nov 24, 2014.

1. crabmann

crabmann

I hope I am in the correct forum and I can state my problem accurately. When I transferred my files from my laptop to my desktop w/ 8.1using Easy Transfer I erred in assigning file location with the user name "Fred". I am the admin and have a user name XXXX. If I go to my user account it is empty. Everything that comes in is assigned to "Fred". In my Control Panel/Users there is no "Fred", just myself as admin. I was blocked access to many files but have now taken ownership of all of them. I would like to transfer all of "Fred's" files to myself and eliminate "Fred" and duplicates. The more files that goes into my machine the harder it is when I try to get rid of them. I'm thinking that someday it will cause a major problem because "Fred" is not a listed user. How can I straighten this out?

crabmann, Nov 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. crabmann

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I might suggest first, that you stop using Windows Easy Transfer to move the files from one computer to the other.
    There are other options.
    Connecting the two computers together in a WorkGroup style network and simply move or copy the files you want from one computer to the other. Or.....
    Copy the files off, onto some form of external media. A USB thumb drive or a USB External Hard Drive, or even burn them to a rewritable DVD or CD depending on the size and then connect the external media to the other computer and copy or move them onto that computer where you want them.

Trouble, Nov 24, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question