Timed shut off feature for windows 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Jones, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Michael Jones

Michael Jones

I think it would be really cool if windows 8 had an option to shut down at a certain time or in a certain amount of time so that I can put on some music to go to sleep to and not have to worry about it running all night. I think it would be a simple add but way cool.

Michael Jones, Sep 18, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Michael Jones

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the forums Michael :)

It's possible to do this already using the "shutdown" command - you can run "shutdown /t x" (where x is the number of seconds before you want to shutdown). One idea may be to create a "timedshutdown.bat" file on your desktop and edit it to add something like "shutdown /t 1800" - that would give you 30 mins before shutting down.

If you want Windows to shut down at a certain time, you could always use the task scheduler and tell it to perform the "shutdown /s" command at set times. This will force shut the PC down straight away.

If you'd like a specific config then feel free to ask and I'm sure we can help :D.

Ian, Sep 18, 2011
    Core likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question