The Size of Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sugarhill, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Sugarhill

Sugarhill

I'm pretty sure this question would go here. I want to confirm my thoughts that it's on the video card in the PC or the laptop that will determine the display on a monitor.

I have a 24 inch and a 32 inch TV and they both can be used as monitors. When I've hooked up a laptop to the 24 inch, the display used the entire screen, so that's great. However, when I've hooked up my laptop to the 32 inch, about 25-33% was not used and the display kind of nestled down in a corner, so I couldn't even maximize the screen on the laptop to see the bottom part on the display.

Is it the video card or are 32 inch and larger monitors just too big overall? I want to set up a two external monitor system and still have something else on my laptop screen. Do I use the 32 inch as a TV and get another 24 or maybe 27 inch as the second monitor?

Sugarhill, Sep 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Sugarhill

MorgUK

I've never liked TV's as monitors. Up close the pixels are too big and far away I can never get the resolution right. I would always stick with a 24" PC monitor and then HDMI to a larger TV for movies and stuff like that.

MorgUK, Sep 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Sugarhill

airplayne

This really has to do with finding a balance between size and the number of monitors you are comfortable with. It really only makes sense to go with either one large monitor or two or three smaller monitors. You just have to find your preference, as well as to what will all fit on one screen comfortably.

I have used my flat panel tv as a second monitor, both via vga and hdmi. They have both worked well, even though a portion of the outer edge of the screen gets cut off. Many of the newer tvs are really built more like monitors so using them should be quite a bit easier should you decide to go with one big monitor.

You should also take into consideration your eyesight as the bigger the monitor the farther away from it you should be sitting.

The problem you were having with where the screen would show up on the larger tv may have to do with finding a compatible driver that works with your tv and finding the right resolution. I know my tv won't even show the screen if I have it set on the wrong resolution.

airplayne, Sep 24, 2013
  4. Sugarhill

Sugarhill

While I appreciate you guys coming in to answer, you really haven't answered my question.

I want to know if it's on the video card as to why I don't get a full screen display on the 32 inch, like I do the 24 inch. I know what I'd prefer, I want to know what can be done.

Is it the video card or the size of the monitor that is causing the problem?

Sugarhill, Sep 24, 2013
  5. Sugarhill

airplayne

As I mentioned it may be something to do with your drivers (which would basically a video card issue). Check to see if there are any updated drivers for your video card. Also, check the resolution you are using for that "monitor." Play with the different resolution options and see if any allow the screen to show up any better.

airplayne, Sep 24, 2013
    Sugarhill likes this.
  6. Sugarhill

Sugarhill

Okay, I will look for a driver update, but from what I do know I don't know how an update can increase capacity on a premade unit. Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks.

Sugarhill, Sep 25, 2013
  7. Sugarhill

airplayne

I never said it would increase capacity, just that it would possibly improve the interaction between your computer (the operating system) and the TV you want to use. It has nothing to do with capacity.

airplayne, Sep 25, 2013
  8. Sugarhill

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

The size of the monitor/TV is irrelevant. It is an issue with your graphics card and its failure to detect the specs of your TV. Use overscan settings in Catalyst if you're using a Radeon to fix the resolution. Also, Catalyst can usually offer different profiles to choose from. With a little tinkering you should be able to get it working right. If you're using nVidia, on the other hand, well, good luck.

Core, Sep 26, 2013
    Sugarhill likes this.
  9. Sugarhill

MorgUK

Ah right, you need to set the other display to the right resolution. Then you may need to use your gfx control panel to play with overscanning.

MorgUK, Sep 26, 2013
  10. Sugarhill

Sugarhill

Thank you! That's what I was thinking, it's about the video card and now I have a bit of an idea of what I need to do. I'll go look up the type of card that is most likely in this laptop.

Sugarhill, Oct 8, 2013
  11. Sugarhill

themarting

if the size of your larger monitors are not showing under options, your video card MAY not support the resolution that the monitor is capable of displaying. For example, my main monitor is a 20 inch 1600x900, and when i connect my PC to it (radeon 7970) it fills the screen, at 1600x900.

However, i can connect it to my 42" Television at 1920x1080 and it will not auto resize. I end up with black bars on either side. The Radeon 7970 supports 1080p output though, so its as simple as going into settings and changing the resolution over to 1920x1080. Once i do this i can use the full screen again.

So, find the native or max resolution of the displays your are trying to use, and check to make sure your gfx card supports those resolutions.

Hope that helps

themarting, Oct 10, 2013
    Sugarhill likes this.
  12. Sugarhill

Sugarhill

I believe that I have an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 video card, so I'm going to go look up if can go higher than 1366x768 for the 32" or am I wanting to go lower than 1024x768?

Sugarhill, Oct 11, 2013
  13. Sugarhill

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I believe most 32" TVs are 720p, so I'd make sure your TV is FullHD if you're going to be cranking up the resolution past that.

Core, Oct 11, 2013
    Sugarhill likes this.
  14. Sugarhill

orz

I think its a problem with your resolution, depending on the full supported and native resolutions of your displays you might have to have a fiddle to get them working the same.

orz, Oct 19, 2013
    Sugarhill likes this.
  15. Sugarhill

Sugarhill

Yeah, I may finally have some time to sit down and sort out some of the small issues that I have right now with my laptop. Thanks for chipping in, orz.

Sugarhill, Oct 21, 2013
  16. Sugarhill

themarting

According to this link, your Intel HD Graphics 4000 supports up to 2560x1600
    http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

So if your television is a 1080p television, it will support it, and if your television is a 720p television it will support it

For a 1080p youll want to set your video output at 1920x1080
    for 720 youll want to set it at 1280x720

Any other size will either be a lower resolution or not fit correctly

themarting, Oct 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question