The mysearchdial pest

SOLVED Discussion in 'Security' started by dedeurs, May 27, 2014.

1. dedeurs

dedeurs

Hi forumfolks,
    This search machine doesn't override my Google Search homepage (as the general complaint goes) and it's not even featured as a software program in Control Panel, but when I open the (default) Chrome browser, it pops up next to the Google tab. It also happens when I set Firefox as a default, or IE, and open Chrome. Somehow it's a Chrome thing.
    I cannot uninstall it because it is not featured in my Control Panel. I ran three malware scanners including the ESET Online scanner, only AdwCleaner informed me to have found & quarantined it. But it didn't, it's still there as a window tab at the top, waiting to be opened.
    Because of the nasty 'Scan Now!' advertising very close to the search box (icky in case your mouse cursor slips, so I NEVER use it!) I can see MSD is trash, so I really want to get rid of it and for good. Any ideas?
    Additional info: I got the Windows 8.1 version & NIS antivirus, all updated.

dedeurs, May 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. dedeurs

bassfisher6522

Uninstall both FF and Chrome that should remove it from both of those browsers, then reinstall them. Then follow this video on how to reset your IE.

bassfisher6522, May 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. dedeurs

dedeurs

I think I killed the bastard.
    In Chrome Customize - Settings - On Start-up I clicked the link 'Set Pages'. Mysearchdial was there next to Google. I deleted it, and did a few Chrome browser start ups in a row to check it out. It's gone.
    I got the tip from a YouTube instruction video, by the way :)

dedeurs, May 28, 2014
  4. dedeurs

bassfisher6522

Cool...glad you got it sorted. Now lets take this a step further. Get into safe mode with networking and run these:

Malwarebytes
    SuperantiSpyware
    AdwCleaner
    Spybot Search&Destroy
    Hitman Pro
    Ccleaner

Run them all at the same time. When they're done and if they have found anything, make sure to delete what they find and also check the quarantine areas and delete what's ever in there as well.

bassfisher6522, May 28, 2014
  5. dedeurs

dedeurs

Okay, but a few of those are Pay tools.
    I'll reply with the results later on.

dedeurs, May 28, 2014
  6. dedeurs

bassfisher6522

No...they are all free...

7. dedeurs

dedeurs

I have a TOTAL mess on my hands, bassfisher.
    HitmanPro is a pay program, so when I tried to uninstall it, tabs from SpeedUp, RegCleaner, AdvancedSystemProtector (?) and Zeba (?) were flying. By way of loop-tabs SpeedUp and ASP (both Hitman?) literally prevented Control Panel from removing anything. After 30 minutes I succeeded somehow, but there are still two shortcut icons on my desktop; AdvancedSystemPr and 'Continue HitmanPro'. Which means to me that all the enemy troops are still there. Btw, ASP calls itself a 'Microsoft partner'. LOL, really?

In my registry I also discovered a JreMetrics trojan, it definitely wasn't there yesterday. When I read somewhere how to remove that one, my hair turned grey on the spot...
    Spybot S&D is another pay scanner, I just smelled it, so I didn't download it. I tried AVG to clean up at least some of the mess, I know it's a good one, but there was an install error.
    I'm out of ideas now.

dedeurs, May 28, 2014
  8. dedeurs

bassfisher6522

No they're not they are all free. I have them all and didn't pay one damn dime for them. I'm betting you're not downloading them from there respective websites and when you do download anything your not checking what you are agreeing to. Just clicking next and agree just isn't going to cut it.

Now days, it's common practice for software companies to allow 3rd party software to be linked to their download....you'll see a box already checked for a toolbar or some sort of scanning software like you have right now.

AVG is an Antivirus and not a malware, spyware, adware remover. It will only find and remove known virus's.

9. dedeurs

dedeurs

I know about tricks like Ask :) Although I think I missed out on Mysearchdial...
    As far as I can see I got them all out (Zeba or Zebar was simply in my Control Panel but featured, surprise, last in the list). I'll keep running scans regularly for the next weeks. What about Spyhunter for an extra check? Haven't tried that one. I vaguely remember that I used it years ago.

AVG, yes, but I hoped it would tackle the JreMetrics trojan, but a trojan is malware. I have exported the key to my desktop for the time being, although I'm not sure if that stops it being active. If it is active, it could be that the key was just the last thing left. I'm not an expert in these matters.

Anyway, for the last few hours and after several closedowns and restarts I don't get buggered by anyone or anything any longer, including Mysearchdial.

dedeurs, May 29, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question