The Cloud

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Papo, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Papo

Papo

Microsoft goal is to provide Skydrive storage for all Windows 8 users. This cloud storage will be accessible from the OS (Windows 8). This will also allowed for developers to build Metro style apps to use SkyDrive directly from the apps. You can read more here.

Papo, Oct 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Papo

davehc

I believe it will be, as it is already, only available if you have a Live ID. That is not a big problem, as such an ID is freely given.. I do not know if it is international, but where I live, ISPs and Web Hosters are also getting into the cloud storage act. Probably personal, but I have no intention of placing any personal data on the internet, allegedly secure or not.

davehc, Oct 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Papo

Ian Administrator

It's probably a very handy thing for most people, but I do always wonder about security when it comes to cloud storage. That said, I do use it myself but I encrypt anything important.

Will be interesting to see how people take to this and if there are any security breaches.

Ian, Oct 20, 2011
    sleepyH22 likes this.
  4. Papo

Papo

In my line of work I’m constantly traveling and can’t afford to trust that my laptop is not going to break down or my external drive won’t be erased due to a malfunction. I also have a network drive at home that has a backup of all documents I need, but don’t like the idea of leaving it on 24/7 because sometimes I’m gone for weeks at a time. I have been storing my documents online for over five or six years using box.net and so far, I must say, I haven’t had any security issues.

The great thing about online storage is that I can access my documents from anywhere, even if I don’t have my computer. I’m careful though and make sure important documents are encrypted. I’m currently using SkyDrive and I believe (and hope) that it too will be as safe as box.net.

Papo, Oct 20, 2011
  5. Papo

Papo

Another application that should work better on Win 8 than on Win 7 is Windows Live Mesh. It lets you sync your documents, photos, and other files on all your computers, even on a Mac or on SkyDrive. You can even leave your computer at home running online and run its programs from another computer. You can use Live Mesh with Win 7 or Vista, but Microsoft is enhancing its accessibility on Win 8.

Papo, Oct 24, 2011
  6. Papo

Papo

There's an excellent article from USA Today and written by Jon Swartz concerning the cloud. Its main topic is about Dropbox and Box, but it provides an excellent view as far as cloud storage is concern. Whether is secured enough or not, cloud storage is here to stay and right now, because of stiff competition, one can get a great deal on file storage.

Check it out: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-03-04/box-dropbox-cloud-computing/53357688/1

Papo, Mar 6, 2012
  7. Papo

Papo

Papo, Apr 24, 2012
  8. Papo

Victor Leigh

This is how I view security.

There's nothing that's really secure once you are connected to the internet and a determined hacker is after your data. Doesn't matter if it's on your hard drive or in a cloud drive. As long as your data is accessible from an internet connection, someone can get your data if they are really determined.

Of course, I take the standard precautions. Like strong passwords and backups. However I don't overdo it. It's like being so worried about your home being burglarized that you put so many locks on the front door that you would make a Fort Knox security guard feel envious. Then spend more time unlocking your door than getting inside.

So I have no problem about using online storage. I wonder what the upload speed is like on Skydrive. No point in allowing gigabyte-sized file uploads if the upload speed is only suitable for mp3 files, right?

Victor Leigh, Apr 25, 2012
  9. Papo

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I've been using Dropbox Premium and see no reason to switch to Google's service any more than Microsoft's. What I like about Dropbox is that it works on all platforms I use - OS X, iOS, Linux, Windows, and Android. Still, it's nice to see more competition coming into the cloud storage scene; maybe it will drive the prices down a bit.

Core, Apr 25, 2012
  10. Papo

Victor Leigh

I use Dropbox, too. Yes, it's more convenient because it's cross-platform. I doubt if Microsoft is going to make Skydrive cross-platform.

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
  11. Papo

Papo

Papo, Apr 26, 2012
  12. Papo

Victor Leigh

Thank you for the link. From what I have read, Skydrive is still the best deal for Windows. I have tried it. It works exactly like any other folder in the hard drive.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  13. Papo

Papo

I must agree, SkyDrive is "the best deal for Windows" and it'll supposedly work better with Windows 8. Another thing...you can't beat the 25GB of free space.

Papo, Apr 29, 2012
  14. Papo

Victor Leigh

Now to keep my fingers crossed and hope that there would not be any security issues with Skydrive. Microsoft attracts hackers the way that sugar attracts ants. They just simply can't leave it alone.

Victor Leigh, Apr 30, 2012
  15. Papo

Papo

Here's a good article about using cloud storage. Useful for those who don't have much idea on how the cloud works. Though the article is about Box, the information provided will help with other storage providers as well.

Click the link and download the PDF file: https://boxcontent.box.com/s/0mad6cyadt5y2thm40lb.

Papo, Apr 30, 2012
  16. Papo

MichaelAllen

I have yet to try or use any "cloud storage" but have gone through a lot of the articles here and think this could be very useful for me. Since I primarily use windows I think that I will give SkyDrive a look . 25 gigs of free storage just seems like such a good perk. Any reason why I should try something else? Love to hear more opinions before I make the decision to use one of the many services available.

MichaelAllen, May 1, 2012
  17. Papo

davehc

Many of the existing third party storage sites, offer more. But, with some, there are limitations. For example, I use the free "File factory". Maybe the terms have changed, I've been with them for a long time and get 500gbs. But after a limited period (I think it is 90 days) the files are removed if they have not been active. This can be a handicap, unless you purposefully make sure they are kept active.

davehc, May 1, 2012
  18. Papo

Papo

I've used Box for a while now and it does offer other options not yet available with SkyDrive. Two years ago I bought a house in Florida and since I was living in Texas all paperwork had to be done through email or fax. Using Box I could store all received and sent documents in one place and even fax the documents within Box for free. Of course we can't forget that SkyDrive, for the most part is free and you are not limited to just one email account. And, for each email account you'll get a whopping 25GB of free space. It's worth a try.

Papo, May 1, 2012
  19. Papo

Victor Leigh

I think the big advantage of Skydrive is that it works exactly like any other folder in the hard drive. Maybe the other services have a similar setup but I haven't tried all of them yet. Does anyone know whether the other services can do it as seamlessly as Skydrive?

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
  20. Papo

davehc

The "seamless" nature, oddly, was the single feature which has cooled me, temporarily, to Skydrive.
    My testing involves quite a lot of recovering of images or even, sometimes, reinstalling the OS. I had set up Skydrive and saved a few files, for test purposes. I found it necessary, a while ago, to restore an earlier image. I found, on rebooting, that not only had my folder gone, but the entire contents of the online storage. Still working on it through MS/TEchnet to try for an answer.

davehc, May 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question