Text rendering in IE10

Discussion in 'Software' started by Core, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Core

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I know I've been critical of IE in the past, but this isn't to bash the browser; I really would like to know what's going on...

I was trying out IE10 (non-Metro) and found it to be pretty fast, in fact it fetches pages even faster than Chrome does on my machine. However, at least on my system, it doesn't do a very good job of rendering fonts. I took a screen capture of Chrome and IE10 side-by-side, displaying the same post.

Link: http://dao.fi/img/comparison.png

I wonder if it's IE10 or just me. This is a bit of a bummer, because the browser is otherwise very snappy. I spend a lot of time reading stuff on the web and this would really annoy the hell out of me...

-edit- I removed the attachment because the forum software messes with the quality to the extent that you can't properly see the text. I have uploaded the image instead and provided a link. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Core, Dec 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

crane2

It may be that you got hit with an win8 update turn off the clear type text for some stupid reason. I use FF which lets me change fonts & sizes then one day the text under the icon on the desktop became undesirable to me, dotty. Went to the win8 display for personalization & found that the "clear type text" was unchecked; checked the clear type again, went thru the views & all was back to my normal wants.

crane2, Dec 5, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Core

dlong93

Hmm, I have never had an issue with the text in IE10, I don't really use it as a primary browser but it seems to be very nice compared to previous versions of IE.

dlong93, Dec 18, 2012
  4. Core

lucasbytegenius

Are you using MacType? Looks like it.

lucasbytegenius, Dec 23, 2012
  5. Core

No, I'm not using MacType. What about that picture suggests that I am?

Core, Dec 24, 2012
  6. Core

davehc

Did you check Cranes suggestion? (post #2)

Are you using clear type? Truth is, for me, the difference in your pictures was marginal, but the IE could do with a darker face. I don't think Clear type works totally "across the board" so Chrome is probably doing it's own thing. Run through the clear type setup again, and select a darker face and see if it improves.

davehc, Dec 25, 2012
  7. Core

I went through the setup and chose a darker face. This is a new screen grab, this time a smaller one to hopefully make it easier to see the difference.

I don't come across this anywhere else on my system, only in IE10. I don't think it's my monitor either, as it's the same on both of my monitors and they're not the same make or model.

Attached Files:

Core, Dec 25, 2012
  8. Core

lucasbytegenius

The font smoothing in the picture on the left looks way too good for normal Chrome rendering.

lucasbytegenius, Jan 9, 2013
  9. Core

It is very crisp, indeed.

Core, Jan 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question