Surface....

Discussion in 'Tablet / Surface Devices' started by Trouble, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Well with just over a week to go before the release of the Windows 8 Surface Pro, it looks like MS may have a little egg on their face with respect to actual available storage.
    Seems a little strange to purchase a 64 gig device and find that it arrives almost two thirds full already.
    Coming from an era where a 1 gig hard drive was a fantasy, imagined only in my tech dreams, I find some of the bloat you end up with on these new devices, scandalous.
    Read more here http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/29/3929110/surface-pro-disk-space-windows-8

Trouble, Jan 31, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

Ace

They try to keep the functionality of a regular Windows 8 Pro and pack it into a 64GB hard drive. That's basically all that the Pro version is... A laptop for the most part. Imagine how much space Windows 8 Pro would be on a desktop at factory default, then move that initial capacity over onto a 64GB hard drive container. They are going to have to compress a few things ore take some useless files out...

My RT version I think by factory defaults had about ~10-15GB / 64GB used? Right now I have 42GB left. But even on the RT version, you can see that it's almost just a complete port over from the regular Windows 8. I had junk files that I couldn't even run as well because of the driver signing level they hardcoded into the kernel for this device. (So I ended up removing what I knew I could remove to conserve more space for useful things.)

Useful device, but in my opinion, if they want to have a Pro version, and don't feel like compressing a few things or reducing the Windows installation for the Surface Pro, their only other option is to give it a bigger hard drive.

Ace, Feb 2, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

gadgetised

Not a fan of the Surface releases. I feel like Microsoft could do so much better in terms of both hardware and their new OS. I am hoping Windows 9 will be a far better experience, and that the Surface line is updated to go with it.

gadgetised, Mar 6, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question