Surface RT production cut in half as Microsoft announces ridiculously high priced Surface Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by Nibiru2012, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

SOURCE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is Windows 8-related news, only it deals with the MS Windows 8 tablets being released.

WOW! $899 for a 32GB tablet? How idiotic! In addition a FOUR HOUR battery life?

Now I am even more satisfied with my purchase of an ASUS TF700T 10.1" tablet with 64 GB for $579.00.
    It's battery life on a "Balanced Mode" setting is about 8 - 9 hours.

~Nibs

Nibiru2012, Dec 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Nibiru2012

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I've been thinking about getting a tablet, but looks like Surface isn't going to really be feasible. Guess that narrows my options to an iPad.

I read somewhere that the 32GB Surface only has about half of that space available due to the OS and a recovery partition, and of course the usual hdd space calculation discrepancy.

Core, Dec 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Nibiru2012

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I highly recommend the Asus TF700. I really like mine. Fast, HD graphics, Quad Core + One Nvidia Tegra 3 CPU.

Please don't join the "Cult of Jobs"!!

Nibiru2012, Dec 2, 2012
  4. Nibiru2012

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

I'll consider it, since you recommend it, but I have to say I've gone 0/2 on my previous Android purchases and am wary of going that route again. I have three Apple products right now, an iMac, iPhone 4S, and an older iPod touch. I have to say that the product quality and the intuitiveness of use is amazing. I had a MacBook Air which was an amazing piece of hardware, but sold it because I didn't end up using it enough, and I was/am really considering Windows systems now because of 8.

The Android devices I had were a Samsung smartphone with 2.3, and some tablet, also 2.3. The Samsung sucked harder than a bar slut with an eviction notice. Its primary issues were a very sluggish interface (terrible lag in responsiveness and opening apps), the fact that the damn thing couldn't keep a charge, and finally, no updates. Whatever OS version an Android device is sold with, that's the version you're stuck with. Every compatible iOS device gets the same latest version OTA on release day. Android devices get no support at all, and worse yet, they are still selling devices with Android 2.x as if they're the latest thing!

The reason, aside from past bad experiences, that I am wary of trying these newer Android 4 devices, is that here in Finland we can't return an electronics purchase once it's out of its box. If the product is faulty, the seller has to replace it with an identical working one, but they are under no obligation to accept a return. If you buy something and it isn't to your liking after all, tough shit.

Core, Dec 3, 2012
  5. Nibiru2012

Octagon

I never understood why Surface RT was released first. I do not want Windows 8 to fail really badly (let it fail just a little bit to teach some guys some lessons), but it is sort of a pleasure to see that I was right - starting with Surface RT was a mistake.

Surface Pro was intended to be both a PC and a tablet. I failed to find details about the pen, but if it is pressure sensitive then Surface can be worth the money if equipped with a 1 TB or better HDD. Without that Surface Pro cannot replace a desktop, period. Is Microsoft making yet another mistake or is the HDD Surface Pro just not announced yet? A HDD model with a pressure sensitive pen is a PC and a tablet and a poor man's modestly rich man's graphics tablet. $899 would be rather reasonable for such a combo.

I guess the Microsoft plan is to leverage its dominance on the desktop to gain market share on tablets and phones. Surface Pro will be either on the desktop side of the equation helping to achieve that or on the tablet side adding to that which must be achieved.

As for the battery life, how often are you without access to power for more than 4 hours and being concerned about the weight you carry and still having to use something more capable than a smartphone? I doubt the battery life is more than a marketing ploy. There is an unverified quote of a Chinese manufacturer: "it does not matter what battery to install since playing a 3D game will discharge it in about 2 hours anyway".

Octagon, Dec 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question