Surface Pro vs Android Tablets

Discussion in 'Tablet / Surface Devices' started by GuyBall, Mar 3, 2013.

1. GuyBall

GuyBall

So, I might get a Surface Pro this week - just to play around a bit with it, not as of yet planning to use it as my primary tablet. Regardless, what do you think of Surface Pro as an Android tablet replacement? How does it stack up when compared to, say, Google Nexus or Asus Transformer? Not just the configuration - interface, features, everything.

GuyBall, Mar 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. GuyBall

DarkRepulser

I think I prefer the Microsoft Surface above the iPad, which was already above any Android tablet I used prior. Windows 8 might suck for desktop, but not for tablets!

DarkRepulser, Mar 5, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. GuyBall

GuyBall

Windows 8 for desktop doesn't suck. Despite the shortcomings, it's a fine OS. And which tablet did you use, previously? I have both Gnex and Transformer, and I don't think iPad is better than either of those, not even close. Not sure of Surface Pro though, will let y'all know once I try it out.

GuyBall, Mar 6, 2013
  4. GuyBall

DarkRepulser

Sorry for that, correction: Windows 8 Metro user interface sucks for desktop. Other than that, the operating system is way faster and more secure than Windows 7. Just make sure you get a replacement for Windows 8's Metro UI if you're not using a touch screen.

DarkRepulser, Mar 6, 2013
  5. GuyBall

davehc

My startscreen. Works for me.

Attached Files:

davehc, Mar 6, 2013
    Core likes this.
  6. GuyBall

GuyBall

It's alright for desktops too. It's just that I'd prefer classic start menu. Metro UI isn't crappy or anything, and is nice, my criticisms aside.

GuyBall, Mar 6, 2013
  7. GuyBall

GGovan

Honestly, the Metro user interface just takes some time to get used to, after a while you start using it like you used the start button.
    Anyway you can install apps like Start8 that will put your beloved start button there again ^^

GGovan, Mar 11, 2013
  8. GuyBall

MisterRay97

In terms of cost, I'd prefer an Android tablet, because it's very open in nature. Though I like Windows 8, a Microsoft Surface is too pricey for me. However, I'd choose a Microsoft Surface over an iPad because I don't prefer Apple.

Windows 8 UI is really user-friendly. If Microsoft Surface would be a bit open like Android and a little cheaper, I'd surely go for the Microsoft Surface, as Microsoft Surface is not only a tablet; it's a netbook replacement. :)

MisterRay97, Mar 25, 2013
  9. GuyBall

Nibiru2012 Moderator

I agree with MisterRay97.

I own an Asus TF700T and it rocks. The more I use the more I like the Android OS. Virtually most Android-based tablets are less expensive than Windows Surface and Surface RT.

Nibiru2012, Mar 26, 2013
  10. GuyBall

IndiePoster

Since the cost of the Surface is high I would have to say Android since they are cheap and can be customized easily but if the price of Surfaces drop I would consider getting one.

IndiePoster, Mar 29, 2013
  11. GuyBall

derplima

I haven't used the Surface Pro, but for the cost, going with a Nexus 7/10 would be much wiser.

derplima, Mar 30, 2013
  12. GuyBall

GuyBall

Yeah, I just postponed it a bit. Can't afford it since some things came up and obviously my Nexus 7 serves me well at the moment. A bit worried about the battery life and bloatware too. Does it eat up a lot of space, out of the box? Does the battery suck? I mean I'd expect a fairly netbook-esque battery life with it, given the price and everything.

GuyBall, Apr 14, 2013
  13. GuyBall

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Just be aware of these tidbits Microsoft released. Not a big deal if your life is already in the cloud, but for some it may be a game breaker:

Core, Apr 16, 2013
  14. GuyBall

samdude

Surface RT version is not my choice for tablets. It should be Surface Pro version as we can feel with this tablet combo (tablet +desktop) features.

samdude, May 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question