Strange bios problem on netbook

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by kaybee327, Dec 13, 2012.

1. kaybee327

kaybee327

Just purchased a Samsung N102S net-book. This has Win 7 starter 32 bit on so I wanted win 8 Pro 64 bit.

First problem I know I can not upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit so it has to be a clean install.

Put win 8 dvd in drive rebooted, straight into windows 7. Ha I thought set Bios so reboot again F2 into bios, go to boot hey presto no option for cd drive or usb. select boot priority only options are sata hard drive or disabled. Spoke to Samsung who passed me on to their service dept/ organization who immediately said they could not help, I had to speak to Samsung. :(

Will try warranty support tomorrow but do not hold much hope.

Any one any ideas please before I return it to supplier as not fit for purpose?

Keith

kaybee327, Dec 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. kaybee327

brkkab123

You may want to check this in Windows 7. Right-click on Computer, click Properties and look at what it says for Processor where it says System Type. As far as I've heard all Netbooks are 32 bit. Thus you'll want Windows 8 Pro 32 bit. You'll also want atleast 2.0 GBs. of r.a.m. in your netbook.

brkkab123, Dec 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. kaybee327

davehc

Sound a bit like a hardware problem if it cannot see the DVD/USB drive in the bios. But brkkab is correct, it would be a 32Bit machine. Have you tried hitting the ESC key as you start? This, on many newer laptops and notebooks, gives a hardware start option. Normally, from that menu, F9 gives the further option to change the boot order. But that will not solve the problem if it cannot see the DVD drive.
    I did experience something similar, on a HP laptop. The cable to the optical drive had 2 USB inputs. On battery, it was necessary to use both of these, inserted into the Laptop, for the extra power needed - Fine on main power with just one USB.
    Best option, before you go further, though, is to see if you can exchange the 64Bit for 32Bit.

davehc, Dec 14, 2012
  4. kaybee327

kaybee327

Many thanks guys.

I am using 32 bit at the moment and the drive has 2 usbinput ( both are connected) and one to the drive.
    Processor is Atom which is 64 bit according to Intel but I only have 1 gb memory and wanted to sort out drive before purchasing more in case I need to return netbook

Keith

kaybee327, Dec 14, 2012
  5. kaybee327

Nibiru2012 Moderator

This netbook uses the Intel Atom processor. It uses the Intel N2600 version which is X64 capable with the following caveats.

If you want to run it then the chipset and BIOS must support it:

Why are you trying to make a netbook, which is severely limited hardware-wise, into a 64-bit machine? It would be better for you to return it and get a standard notebook computer which is completely X64 capable.

Nibiru2012, Dec 14, 2012
  6. kaybee327

davehc

I think his major query (could relate to the same issue) is that the bios cannot see the optical drive?

davehc, Dec 14, 2012
  7. kaybee327

kaybee327

Thank you to all who have replied.

Guess from the response that the consensus is to go with 32 bit and so this is what I will do.

Although wishing to go 64 bit ( to match pc ) My main concern was the fact there is nowhere in boot to recognize a cd drive or usb. As Samsung provide a recovery disk, if you a major corruption and had to wipe your drive how do you get an operating system back? Maybe I am missing something (like a brain :p )

Keith

kaybee327, Dec 14, 2012
  8. kaybee327

davehc

If I confused you, with my post about the double cable, Have a loksee here. It could be your problem, if you do not have such a cable.

davehc, Dec 14, 2012
  9. kaybee327

kaybee327

Hi Davehc,

No not confused - this is my double end :oops:

cd cable.png

kaybee327, Dec 14, 2012
  10. kaybee327

davehc

Fine. Damn nuisance on a couple of machines I service. If it is on battery, with only two USB ports, it leaves no room for a mouse. I have wedge shaped, insensitive , fingers and have problems with touchpads!

davehc, Dec 15, 2012
  11. kaybee327

kaybee327

UPDATE :p UPDATE :p UPDATE :p

Yes you have guessed correct --- I am a happy bunny I now have all the bios features.

How did I do it you may ask - well the answer was very difficult :D and found by accident. Machine had 1gb ram so upgraded to 4gb and features are there. Seems not even Samsung are aware of this. When I spoke to them they said boot order could not be changed as they did not want customers messing around with settings. Stuff em I say.

Thanks for all the replies

Keith

kaybee327, Dec 15, 2012
  12. kaybee327

kaybee327

I am similarly disjointed . My answer is a four port powered hub but a bit awkward when traveling :confused: and you need both hands on the crank generator.

Keith

kaybee327, Dec 15, 2012
  13. kaybee327

davehc

Lol. Go diesel

davehc, Dec 15, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question