Storages Spaces

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by twh_bell2, Nov 19, 2014.

1. twh_bell2

twh_bell2

Apologies if this has been covered here - I could not find my exact answer .. so will post here.

Interested in trying Storage Spaces as a single home NAS solution (everything is on the cloud but I want a physical space at home for faster access and of course as a redundant
    storage solution - now about 1TB).

I have part of my answer I think in the FAQ - that is that a Storage Pool can be migrated to a new machine by moving the disks or at least a sufficient number of them to constitute a quorum - and maybe this is the answer to my question ...

BUT .. what happens to my Storage Pool if the system (HD, MOBO, etc) on the 8.1 machine
    I'm using and or created the Pool fails? - Again is it as simple as plugging the drives into a new set-up??

thanks

twh_bell2, Nov 19, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. twh_bell2

bassfisher6522

With a Home NAS setup, you need to make sure you're using the RAID 5. This has better fault tolerance and performance and is the most common for business servers and enterprise NAS setups. If a drive fails the setup will keep working and will allow you to hot swap the failed HDD.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2370235,00.asp

bassfisher6522, Nov 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question