Stop Windows from restarting your computer after updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sonic, Jun 17, 2013.

1. sonic

sonic

Head to the start menu, select run (or just use windows key + R) and enter "regedit" (without quotes). When you have the regedit opened, navigate to:​

Right click on the "Windows" key and go to New > Key. Name the key WindowsUpdate, then right click on that key and create a new one called AU.
    Then click on the AU key and on the right side right click on the empty space and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.

Name the new DWORD:

Double click on the new DWORD and change its value to 1.

After you reboot your computer windows will no longer force you to restart your computer after installing updates.

sonic, Jun 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. sonic

airplayne

Mine currently doesn't "force" me to reboot after an update, though the update will not be fully implemented until I do a reboot. Many of the updates are setup that way.

airplayne, Jun 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. sonic

sonic

After an update it asks you to restart your computer. A window pops up and you have that restart now/later option or the windows will restart automatically in 15 minutes. That's fine I guess. But sometimes when I'm playing a game I don't see that message and my computer just restarts. Also when I'm afk. It can be really annoying.

sonic, Jun 18, 2013
  4. sonic

davehc

I don't get a forced reboot either but, my own observation is that it is rather a waste of time to download and half install the updates. I do try and avoid altering registry entries, They can be so often linked to other instances on the OS.but, sometimes, it is the most expedient way. I have attached a file which will do this automatically, for those who are wary of editing the registry. I have not personally used it, but it is , I believe, from the same source as the OP..
    If you are not prepared to endure the reboot, surely (imho) it is better to change the priority to either "Check for updates, but let me choose ...etc, or, download updates but let me choose", or, lastly "never check", but manually have a look at regular periods.

Attached Files:

davehc, Jun 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question