Start menu button in Windows 8 desktop version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Phan, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Michael Phan

Michael Phan

Windows 8 is great and works well on PCs because it is very light weight and simple. The entire metro style concept, which replaced the start menu, is great for touch screen devices and also the desktop. However, I think that Microsoft should include a start menu button on the desktop interface because it will be more userfriendly for those with little to no no knowledge of PCs. The windows button has been included in all previous version of windows. Why take out the windows menu button on the desktop version? The corners idea is useful, but they should keep the simple start button instead of the corner menu. I know there are third party plugins that add this feature but it should be integrated in the final version of windows.

What is your opinion of the new start button when going on the desktop interface?

Michael Phan, Jun 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Michael Phan

davehc

Welome to the forums.

You will find quite a few posts discussing the possibility of a start button, and references to the half dozen or so third party add-ons - all working 100%.

davehc, Jun 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Michael Phan

brkkab123

None of the so-called Start Menu replacements look like the actual Start Menu. ViStart is the best, but according to Norton Internet Security 2012, SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, comes with a trojan.Microsoft is going to eventually have to bring the start menu back in the desktop ui. If they don't, Windows 7 will be the new XP and 8 will be the new Vista. MS needs to realize that millions of people aren't going to buy new pc's just because Windows 8 came out. That's especially true because of the world's current economy. Then add to that the fact, that this is the first version of Windows that take's away multimedia features, instead of improving them. DirectX only get's a service pack update, going from DX 11 in Windows 7 to DX 11.4 in Windows 8. Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player are the same version's as Windows 7 has, Then add to that point that Microsoft a:} makes WMC a for pay addon, which you can only get if you purchase Windows 8 Pro and b} dvd playback is gone from WMC & WMC so, we.ll need to shell out more money for software that add;s that capability. Last, but not least c} Where's the Blu-ray plsybsck at Microsoft? You'll need to purchase more software for that, too.
    Then let's look at the fact you can only have 2 Metro app's displayed at a time. That may be fine and dandy on a tablet, but not on a desktop, notebook or ultrabook computer.
    It's funny, I've used every beta of 8 and can only spend a hour, maybe 2 before booting into Windows 7 to do what I actually wanted to do.

brkkab123, Jun 13, 2012
    Michael Phan likes this.
  4. Michael Phan

Michael Phan

I believe stardock.com has the best addon for the start menu on windows 8 with my experience. The plugin can be customized to the point where only the list of apps will show like the start menu in windows 7 except more metro looking. The plugin still allows the old use of the corner start button as well

I see your point with windows 8 and the software required to install other programs in order for things to work normally like they did in Windows 7. I also have problems finding where the program is and end up doing a search on google to figure it out. Windows 8 is sometimes frustrating and not as simple as windows 7.

Michael Phan, Jun 14, 2012
  5. Michael Phan

davehc

"None of the so-called Start Menu replacements look like the actual Start Menu."

By "actual" start menu, you mean Windows 7: Windows XP.

Have you tried the classic menu? Not a great deal of difference there. If it looks a little old fashioned, then Start 8 is a pretty good replica.

"according to Norton Internet Security 2012, SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, comes with a trojan."
    Could you give a source for that? I believe that vistart.exe was alleged to be a trojan, but was declassified when found to be part of the start menu program. Here is one source
    http://www.file.net/process/vistart.exe.html

I believe the scare stared as it was modifying system files. It was a necessary process, in order to re-establish a start menu. Here is another source for instructive reading:
    http://www.fixfiles.net/vistart.exe.html

The anti virus programs were initially finding it as malicious, as it was manipulating system files.
    I am currently customising and using the Metro interface, but previously I installed and ran all of the known replacements for the start menu. I experienced no problems.

" Metro app's displayed at a time"
    Correct. But there is no insistence that one uses the metro Apps. After examination, I have removed all of mine, as I found, so far, little use for them and already have third party software which outperforms them.

davehc, Jun 14, 2012
    Michael Phan likes this.
  6. Michael Phan

brkkab123

Personally. I think I'm going to stick with 7. For my pc 8 doesn't warrant enough as a upgrade. I have no need's for or interest in paying $500.00+ for a tablet that has 1/3 of the power or capabilities of what I already have. MS is eventually going to do away with the desktop ui. Then why pay extra money to get the same exact versions of feature we already have in Windows 7, but with actually less capabilities. Yhe only upgrade multimedia wise is directx 11.1. It's time that everyone realize that 8 is truly only a tablet os. It's desktop, notebook app's are the same as in 7, except with the ribbon and feature's removed. Other than the MetroUI, the only true new feature's are the task manager and the factory/installation restore feature. The fast start feature is only good if your motherboard has a UEFI, not a bios. Furthermore,even if you have UEFI and have a ssd, does 1 or 2 seconds really matter ? Sorry, but I've used the Build Preview, Consumer Preview and now Release Preview and haven't seen anything that's a true must have for me, a desktop pc user. I'm not wasting $500-700 on a tablet that only has 32-64 GB storage and 1/4 of the ram I have now. To me that would be a downgrade, not a upgrade. I have no interest in anything to do with touch capabilities. I like seeing my display, not having to repeatedly clean it's screen 50+ times a day.

brkkab123, Jun 14, 2012
  7. Michael Phan

davehc

You are not alone in your opinion. Private users will experience not enough advancement to warrant the investment, on a desktop environment. For businesses, with secretaries and accountants using keyboards as thetr main input, it has no future as an investment, I'm afraid.

davehc, Jun 14, 2012
  8. Michael Phan

brkkab123

The sad part is that I've noticed Microsoft is yanking various Windows 7 features slowly. First they took away vsrious Internet TV channels in 7's Media Center, then they cut the Gadgets site down to 1 page from over 55 before Build was released. It kind of seem's like they're taking away 7's feature's to force 8 upgrades.8's too much tablet and too late to the market. It doesn't matter what they add, Apple and Google will just add it, too. Look at Windows Phone compared to the rest.

brkkab123, Jun 14, 2012
  9. Michael Phan

Dipsy

I've found nothing in Windows 8 that I need or even want. Windows 7 will be my OS until maybe Windows 9.

Dipsy, Jun 15, 2012
  10. Michael Phan

brkkab123

I think my mnoey's going to a AM3+ motherboard, a Nvidia video card and maybe a 2nd ssd. I unistalled Release Preview last night and regave 7 back the whole drive. The 2 patch Tuesday updates messed up tje Windows Store and no malware was found in 7 or 8. I agree for desktops and notebooks 8 is a downgrade more so than a upgradeIt's nothing to do with Metro. It's just that 8 seem's to be catered to extremely low powered components. Granted my pc is AMD based, but it's far from a slouch.

brkkab123, Jun 15, 2012
  11. Michael Phan

gailkill

gailkill, Jun 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question