Start button returns to Windows 8 operating system's desktop mode

Discussion in 'Windows 8 News' started by themarksquared, Jun 3, 2013.

1. themarksquared

themarksquared

Good day, Windows 8 forums!

Upon venturing the deep lands of Google, I have stumbled upon an interesting piece of news about Windows 8 and the Start button. I will be quoting the important parts of the article. Should you wish to read the full article, click here. Enjoy.

Well, that doesn't change much. What do you think? Feel free to share your opinion!

themarksquared, Jun 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. themarksquared

airplayne

Quite honestly now that I have gotten used to it, I really couldn't care less.

airplayne, Jun 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. themarksquared

rayzah

i heard its not really the start button its a button that takes you to the metro screen.

really though i don't get why people care about the start button. at the metro screen all you gotta do is start typing and it brings up whatever program you're looking for within 3 or so keystrokes on a list.

without the start button i hit the windows key and hit pa and paint pops up that's it. with the start button i have to click start then hover over programs then move to accessories then find paint. its slower.

rayzah, Jun 6, 2013
  4. themarksquared

airplayne

Some people are just creatures of habit. I, myself, was not looking forward to using Windows 8 without the start button, since it has been in every version of Windows since the mid 90's, but I have gotten used to it. Some people just need to get over it.

airplayne, Jun 6, 2013
  5. themarksquared

davehc

The controversy over the start button/menu has become the most posted, and boring, subject on Windows 8 forums. If needed a simple third party option instantly takes care of it. I do wonder, when I see screen shots of other users desktops and start menus, how many of those items they actually use on a regular basis. I am guilty of having about 30 to 40 icon shortcuts - Im using the Metro. But, in the course of my work, during which I am using the computer intensively, I doubt if I use as many as four of those shortcuts, in the period of a week.

davehc, Jun 6, 2013
  6. themarksquared

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I couldn't agree more.
    While I refused to adopted a third party overlay until I was confident I could manage the new interface without a crutch, I just recently purchased "StartIsBack" $3 bucks for a two PC license, after having experimented with I suspect, practically everyone of these types of solutions.
    I picked it because I believe it offers the best of both worlds and I can now move about Windows 8, the old way or the new older way.
    Certainly hoping they are doing some work on the product though, as it doesn't work at all on Windows 8.1.
    Sort of been my history with tech.... buy something and it's almost immediately obsolete. :(

Trouble, Jun 6, 2013
  7. themarksquared

davehc

A nice program but, a warning. It is the only one, of those on offer, that actually intercepts the original, which had been left on the OS installation ISO. I am a little surprised that you find it was still working. I understood the source code had been eliminated in an MS update. It certainly, as you have found, wont work in 8.1

davehc, Jun 6, 2013
  8. themarksquared

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Yep and mostly why I chose it Dave as it behaves more like part of the OS rather than a software overlay running a bunch of services.
    I suspect they'll have to do some work and add some bits and bytes to make it work on 8.1 and as a consequence I'll probably not like it quite as much. But in the mean time.....:)
    My current, somewhat spartan desktop with StartIsBack running and a custom image for the button that I grabbed from Deviant Art that sort of matches my desktop wallpaper.

Attached Files:

Trouble, Jun 6, 2013
  9. themarksquared

mikelouis

I was just getting to get comfortable by using the metro style to run my programs but anyway I still welcome the idea as most people this was a serious complexity

mikelouis, Oct 15, 2013
  10. themarksquared

brkkab123

themarksquared you're wrong. The start button isn't coming back to Windows 8. It's in Windows 8.1, which is a free upgrade for all Windows 8 user's and will be available to Windows 8 user's this Thursday. On Friday, it become's available to everyone else (XP, Vista & 7 user's/plus on new laptops/ultrabooks/tablets. davehc: Stardock's Start 8 work's in 8.1. It's $5.00.

brkkab123, Oct 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question