SSDs vs. Power outages

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trouble, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Just been reading a recent article over at ExtremeTech.
    SOURCE: Link

On my way to buy a good UPS battery backup.:)

Trouble, Oct 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

bassfisher6522

Let us know which make/model you get. I hear a lot of bad things about CyberPower UPS. I hear APC is the brand to go with.

bassfisher6522, Oct 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

Ian Administrator

It's a shame they don't provide the model details, I'd be interested to know which ones come out doing well!

I supposed I expected that there could be problems with power failures, but didn't expect an SSD to be bricked from something like that. I don't have a UPS at home, but perhaps should consider it for my NAS.

Ian, Oct 23, 2013
  4. Trouble

themarting

Wow...the town i live in has power outages all the time. Theyre not long ones either, just 2 seconds, always over night or in the middle of the afternoon.

Looks like im gonna need a UPS too...
    Glad i saw this

themarting, Oct 24, 2013
  5. Trouble

MorgUK

UPS's are cool if you need one, but for the average Joe they are not needed. There's one in our garage not being used and I'd like to use it, but I honestly cant remember the last time we had a powercut.

MorgUK, Oct 29, 2013
  6. Trouble

Kougar Moderator

I'd strongly recommend a UPS, even for normal HDDs they can prevent data and/or OS corruption from power interruptions. For SSDs it's even more important given they can be handling much larger amounts of data at the time of the power loss.

Ontop of the larger amount of data, SSDs are typically performing self-maintenance routines when idle. So even if the user is doing nothing some data is still being read from then rewritten to the SSD as the drive cleans itself up. Many SSDs don't actually use the onboard DRAM cache to store user data (such as Intel), instead in all SSDs the cache is used to load the mapping table / indirection table for fast lookups with LBA-to-physical address mapping. Sure a copy is always kept on the NAND, but any newly modified files run the risk of corruption if the indirection table isn't able to finish paging back to the NAND during a power failure (it's typically in the 100MB+ range or even more depending on the type of indirection table used).

Kougar, Nov 12, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  7. Trouble

Ian Administrator

Well, I guess I jinxed it! On Saturday we had a storm a lightning hit very close to our house - knocking out the phoneline, blowing the router/amp/ps3/some light fixtures and other things. I've never had anything like this happen, but as our phoneline and router are both gone, I rushed out and bought a 4G mobile broadband kit to stay connected (it's surprisingly good!).

As luck would have it, our NAS and PCs were undamaged (thankfully) - but it reminded me of this thread. I ordered a APC BE700G-UK and it's just arrived, so I'll be setting this up for the NAS later on today. I may even go the whole hog and purchase one for our PCs, but once I've fixed the damaged electrical stuff.

Ian, Nov 12, 2013
  8. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hey Ian.... sorry to hear of the misfortune.
    Hope you get everything squared away quickly.
    Just like the member a couple of posts above this one. It never happens...... until it happens.

Trouble, Nov 12, 2013
  9. Trouble

Kougar Moderator

Wow Ian, sorry to hear of your losses! As bad as that is it sounds, it is fortunate that you didn't lose even more.

Don't forget to route your internet line + modem + router through that APC as well!

Kougar, Nov 12, 2013
  10. Trouble

Ian Administrator

Thanks guys :). Yup, you're right were quite lucky that it didn't destroy and data, so it served as an effective warning!

Ian, Nov 12, 2013
  11. Trouble

SolarCell

It does seem like SSD's are sensitive. I had to replace mine twice. I'm not completely certain it was because of power failures but it could have been. I bought a ups after installing my last ssd.

Having a UPS is a great thing if you live in an area where there are many short power failures. My neighborhood is like this. Power failures are not good for your hardware and they are also very annoying. The only bothersome thing about a UPS is that you need to replace the batter every couple of years because it will go bad.

SolarCell, Nov 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question