Speech Recognition

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Claudia Thompson, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

When I go to Control Panel and click on Speech Recognition, then text to speech the button does not play back the voice when you click on Preview Voice. Can anyone help please?

Claudia Thompson, Apr 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Click on the "Advanced..." button. Make sure that the "Use preferred audio output device" is selected.

Shintaro, Apr 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Shintaro, Okay I ticked the "Use preferred audio output device" after I clicked on the Advanced button and I tried the Preview Voice button again, but still there is no voice or sound there.

Claudia Thompson, Apr 21, 2014
  4. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Could you please on the "Audio Output" button then click on the "Sounds" tab. Select any sound like "Calendar Reminder" then click on the "Test" button .
    Do you hear sounds?

Could you also please take a screen shot of the "Playback" Tab.

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  5. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Yes Sir, the sound is working when I try the calendar reminder.

I uploaded the screenshot of the playback tab.

Attached Files:

6. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I just wanted to add that I had just done a full system restore to factory defaults and so it seems strange to me that this wouldn't be working. It did work before.

I had downloaded the free version of a program called Natural Reader. It reads text back to you, using a voice. And at that time, the voices were working fine. Then I bought and downloaded a paid version/ upgrade of Natural Reader with new voices etc, and then the voice reader didn't work any longer. So I thought well okay then, I will set everything back to factory defaults, surely it will work again, since its restoring everything back to the original state that it was in when I bought this computer about 8 months ago. But it doesn't.

I uninstalled the Natural Reader but the sound thing still doesn't work. When I had installed it , the package also came with two additional voices that I downloaded. I uninstalled that also. I have no idea if any of this has anything to do with the sound/voice not working now, but I just thought I'd mention it.

I don't understand what it means when it says NVIDIA is "not plugged in", or if that has something to do with it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Could you please download CPU-Z and run it. Go to the "About" tab and save it as a txt (text) file. Upload the text file to the forum.

Also press the WIN + X key and select "Device Manager". Then expand "Audio inputs and outputs" and take a screen shot and post it to the forum please.

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  8. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Okay sorry it took me so long but it didn't email me about your new post this time. I will do it now and post it a a few minutes.

9. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Okay so far I have the Text file I uploaded it here...

Attached Files:

10. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Here is the device manager screenshot DeviceManager.png

11. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Ok, that's strange. It all looks ok.

What is the make and model of your computer?

However, please install Windows 8.1 update, instruction are HERE.

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  12. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I know this probably doesn't have anything to do with my sound not working with speech recognition. But when I did a full system restore to factory defaults on my computer, I noticed it put this icon on my desktop to "Connected Music powered by Universal Music Group" and nothing is on the page.

http://www.hpconnectedmusic.com/uk/en/intro/

Another strange thing I noticed is this time it started putting little red square icons next to all my videos and things like that. I had never seen that before. So I looked on the Apps thing and noticed this same big read tile that said "Video". And when I clicked on it, I got some sort of warning that popped up telling me not to trust this and it had a page that said X-Box. It said its license had been revoked. But now it stopped doing that... giving me the warning, I mean. Its just that last time id did not do that till this time when I recently restored to factory default.

13. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

MakeandModelofComputer.jpg

14. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

I took a screen shot of my computer properties, I hope that tells you the make a model of it. I am definitely not a computer whiz :)

Model Number: p6-2442ea That's what it says on the side of my actual computer

HP Pavilion

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  15. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Yep, when you do a system restore, it does really restore everything back. It could have affected your sound devices, it shouldn't have, but it could have.

Thanks for that information.

Sorry to be a pain, but please check if Windows 8.1 appears in HP Support Assistant. If it does, run it from there.

Either way after the install of Windows 8.1, run HP Support Assistant. That should update all the drivers.

Shintaro, Apr 21, 2014
  16. Claudia Thompson

Claudia Thompson

Well, interestingly enough, when I click the link you gave me to install the windows update, it tries to get me to install windows 8.1 but then it tells me I must install windows updates first and tells me to go to settings/change pc settings, then windows update. So I click on that and it fails to update. It also says something there about how it tried to update a couple of hours ago and failed. It just sits there saying its downloading but it never does do anything...

17. Claudia Thompson

Shintaro Moderator

Please just use HP Support Assistant. It is easier and will grab the drivers from HP as well.

Shintaro, Apr 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question