Sound Issues

SOLVED Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by airplayne, Jul 21, 2014.

1. airplayne

airplayne

I can't really pinpoint when this happens, but every now and again I have a problem where either the sound driver, or software that goes along with it craps out. Meaning, it will freeze up, and when I click on the volume popup in the task bar and go to test the sound function in the advanced tab of the of the properties screen it tells me that it is being used by another application. The only way I have been able to get the sound to work again is to reboot the computer.

Do I need to reinstall the driver or something?

airplayne, Jul 21, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. airplayne

bassfisher6522

That's where I would start....download and install the latest sound driver for your system and see how that works for you.

The next time you get the message saying "it's being used by another application"....go to the task manager and check what process is running it and then end the task that way.

bassfisher6522, Jul 23, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. airplayne

airplayne

I have checked for the most updated sound driver and my computer is saying it has the most updated one.

As for looking for what program is using that driver, what do I look for when I open the task manager. This has just happened and the only thing running is Chrome. Any thoughts?

airplayne, Jul 24, 2014
  4. airplayne

bassfisher6522

Don't rely on your computer, aka MS OS telling you you have the latest driver....it's almost always wrong. You have to go to the manufacturer website for the most updated hardware driver. If it's a Realtek sound driver, go to Realteks website to obtain the latest sound driver and so on for all your hardware.

bassfisher6522, Jul 24, 2014
  5. airplayne

airplayne

Well, here is what I have tried so far. I looked on the Microsoft website for an updated driver, and everything I found I was not able to use. Then I looked for a driver on the HP site (as I have an HP Pavilion g6-2260us). I found the current and previous drivers. Tried installing them after I uninstalled the version I had on the laptop to begin with but ran into a problem. I am thinking about just taking the plunge and upgrading to 8.1, but wanted to create a new partition to move my files to. Well, I created the new partition, but it keeps creating it as a CD drive, not a normal partition.

Any ideas?

airplayne, Jul 25, 2014
  6. airplayne

bassfisher6522

After looking up your laptop model, I see that it uses; IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver. I got this straight from HP.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5351455#N191

Then looking up IDT, I found there site which gave me this.... http://www.idt.com/products/audio-products

So I went to Tempo Semiconductor's site and found the drivers there...I'm not sure what exact driver your HP model is using but you could try each one to see what will work.
    http://www.temposemi.com/

This took me all of 2 minutes.....

bassfisher6522, Jul 25, 2014
  7. airplayne

airplayne

Yup, found the drivers that are supposed to be for my laptop, but when I tried to install them I kept getting an error. So, I tried do a restore, but that didn't work because of a possible issue with my antivirus, even though I tried turning that off. After that I tried going ahead with an upgrade to Windows 8.1 and an interesting new problem began. A couple minutes after logging in my computer will suddenly start rapidly switching back and forth between the desktop and the app screen. Almost like someone is holding down a button of some kind.

Anyone have this issue with 8.1?

airplayne, Jul 25, 2014
  8. airplayne

airplayne

Finally resolved the issue, but had to restore Windows 8 to do it. One thing I did learn in this process, apparently my laptop does not like 8.1, so I will not be installing that again anytime soon.

airplayne, Jul 26, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question