Somewhat annoying BSOD

SOLVED Discussion in 'Crashes, BSODs and Debugging' started by LoneWolfMage, Mar 14, 2014.

1. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Hello all~

Every so often I am getting a Blue Screen on my system.

By every so often I mean maybe once a week sometimes less often.

I have used Blue Screen View to determine what is calling/causing it .. and they point to the following:

ntoskrnl.exe as being the Driver its caused by as well as an address cause of ntoskrnlexe+14dca0

With a bug check string of MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (which is also the reference to the crash on the Blue Screen)

I have attached the most recent .dmp file to this post.(March 12,2014)

Its kind of weird though, it DOES NOT happen while playing games or any other "stress related" processes to the system.

It will happen when just doing simple things like browsing the internet .. or checking websites, or email.

I know my BIOS is out of date(6/11/2010) but I checked the ASUS site and the 2 most recent recent BIOS update are apparently 6/21/2010 and 10/11/2010 for Initiate Graphics Adapter Item and Support New CPU, respectively.

I did contact ASUS after installing Win 8 due to a problem with a component showing up in Device Manager not being installed correctly (which I had mentioned in another thread on this forum) and they said that the MB is not considered 'Win 8 certified'. But yet it still does work(other than the Blue Screen mentioned above) and that situation has been solved.

As near as I can tell all my drivers for this system are updated as current as possible(checked just today).

My system specs are posted in the usual area.
    Any questions feel free to ask.
    Any assistance with this somewhat annoying issue would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    ~LoneWolf

Attached Files:

LoneWolfMage, Mar 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. LoneWolfMage

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

wdcsam64.sys 4/16/2008 Western Digital Driver for external drives and the like. Has a bad reputation for causing Blue Screen issues.
    My recommendation would be, first try and update it to something a bit more recent than 2008 if that is possible, or second uninstall whatever installed in on your system and check and confirm that it is no longer present and loading and or third, rename it to something like wdcsam64.OLD, reboot and see if that helps.

Trouble, Mar 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Trouble~

I looked for that file that you mentioned and I see 3 of them in the respective places:

C:\Program Files\WDCSAM

C:\Windows\System32\drivers

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdcsam.inf_amd64_782a203832146fb2

All as a file type of : System File
    With a date Created and modified of Feb 16,2011
    Also with a date of accessed of December 16,2013

Also from your post regarding WD .. I do have a WD My Passport external drive.

When I input the model/part number at the WD site .. I come up with the following result http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/5419

Since the Blue Screens aren't totally consistent (maybe one a week or a week and a 1/2 and NOT while under load) I'm still puzzled as to why this may be happening. For instance .. the Blue Screen referenced happened.. I was just doing general browsing and also on a vid call(via oovoo with no cam and only voice and text chat enabled) with a friend of mine.

Other wise any other time it has happened, its been just light usage ( I do consider using oovoo light usage for me) .

Any report back after making adjustment in regard to what you or any one else my suggest may that long once I follow the instructions you may give.

I only use that drive when I need it is however always plugged into the system(as a just in case). Its not under any constant read/write loads. At least none that would coincide with the Blue Screens.

Thanks for your help.
    LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Mar 14, 2014
  4. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Trouble~

I guess what I was asking was WHICH file should I rename ??

Or should I just go ahead and download the x64 file from the site that I linked ?

Also ..

I got another Blue Screen. (.dmp attached)

This one is different.. it was a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I was downloading a patch for a game and I just let it go while I was out and about .. and when I came back I was presented with the Blue Screen.

~LoneWolf

Attached Files:

LoneWolfMage, Mar 15, 2014
  5. LoneWolfMage

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

As much as I would like to help further, unfortunately I don't enjoy the hunt as much as I once did.
    I do however, have a suggestion for you. There is a group of folks who are extraordinary at resolving issues such as yours and I hope that I'm not violating any forum rules by suggesting that you head on over there and see if they can help you out further.
    Please read and follow the instructions found here
    http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bso...ctions-windows-8-1-8-7-and-windows-vista.html
    It's more or less the specialty of the site and if it can be resolved, they'll likely be your best bet.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Mar 15, 2014
  6. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Trouble~

Thanks for trying to help .. it's appreciated

I'll check out that site. And ill let you know if and when I get a solution.

~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Mar 16, 2014
  7. LoneWolfMage

Shintaro Moderator

How did you go? Did my colleagues over on Sysnative fix your problem?

Shintaro, Apr 18, 2014
  8. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Shintaro~
    Sorry for the delayed response I have been busy with work and personal life here . I was actually hoping you were going to respond .. I have seen you help quite a few others on the Win 7 forums ( the sister site to this one)

As far as going to the site I did take a look but didn't register or submit my dmp files .. its kinda interesting tho... the last BSOD I got was before the W8.1 U1 after that I got ONE and I hasn't happened since . I got one on the 5th of April then another on the 18th.

Still not exactly sure as .. as I mentioned there doesn't seem to be any 'rhyme or reason' to them.

The one on the 5th was the(bug check string) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED AREA with a driver cause of
    ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+4fffe fffff803`e2a1c000 fffff803`e319d000 0x00781000 0x52718d9c 10/30/2013 6:52:12 PM

The one on the 18th was (no bug check string) with a driver cause of
    fwpkclnt.sys fwpkclnt.sys+8a79ca fffff801`df310000 fffff83c`df37c000 0x0000003b0006c000 0x53159ca7 3/4/2014 5:28:07 AM

Those parameters are copy/pasted directly from Blue Screen view.

That second one was an 'odd' one (at least for me) usually there is a 'bug check string' when they happen. In either case .. I wasn't doing anything TOO intense or cause a 'major load' on my system.( at least not what I would consider a 'major load')

Thank you for asking though.
    ~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Apr 25, 2014
  9. LoneWolfMage

Shintaro Moderator

Mate,

Could you please start with the following scans and post a screen shot of the completed scan to the forum. We need to make sure that it isn't some virus/malware hanging around. These scans need to be completed even if you have Anti-virus installed.

1. Download and run TDSSKiller.
    2. Install Malwarebytes (Free Version) and scan your computer.
    3. Please download and run Windows Defender Offline. It will create a CD / DVD / USB and will boot and scan your hard drive offline.
    4. Download CPU-Z and run it. Go to the "About" tab and save it as a txt (text) file. Upload the text file to the forum.

Shintaro, Apr 25, 2014
  10. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Shintaro~

You mentioned about screen shots..

Do you want each scan result(1-3) screen shotted ??

or do you just want the txt file from CPUZ ?

Thanks for trying to help.
    ~LoneWolf

LoneWolfMage, Apr 26, 2014
  11. LoneWolfMage

Shintaro Moderator

Mate,

Screen shot when the scans are complete and please upload the txt file.

Shintaro, Apr 26, 2014
  12. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Shintaro~

Attached SHOULD be 2 files.

MBAM results

And TDSS results.

After running MBAM I DID NOT do any cleaning .. the first file that it found .. I AM aware of .. its for one of my games .. so I would consider that 'safe'

Windows defender did NOT find any threats after doing a quick scan. I don't have a screen shot of that however.

All scans were done as 'quick scans'

I will post my CPUZ report in my next post

Edited to add... I DID save my CPUZ report as a txt file .. but its NOT showing to be able to uploaded.
    Second Edit: can see the file ( for CPU Z) if I browse for it normally on my system.. but do not have the option to upload the file if I use the "upload file' on the forum. ODD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    LoneWolfMage, Apr 26, 2014
  13. LoneWolfMage

Shintaro Moderator

Ok, So if you know about the first program in Malware Bytes that's fine. The other files should be cleaned off, but they are neither virus or Trojans. HERE is an explanation.

If your having trouble uploading the text file, put it in a Zip file and upload it. HERE are instructions on how to put file in a zip.

Please run chkdsk

Press the Windows Key and type in cmd.exe. Right click cmd.exe and select "Run As Administrator". When the command prompt appears type in without the quotes.

Code:

"chkdsk c: /f /r"

The following may appear:

Press Y and enter, and restart your computer. chkdsk (Check Disk) will run on your computer at the start of the reboot. It may take some time depending on the size of your hard disk.

Chkdsk shouldn't really be needed as it is meant to be running in the background and on startup. But in your crash dump files it is complaining about the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED which is to do with disk.

Shintaro, Apr 27, 2014
  14. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Shintrao~

CPU-Z attached to this post.

Regarding chkdsk, if I remember correctly , I actually DID do that after the 'crash' on april 5th I found that as a 'potential' solution to that particular 'crash' since the 5th I haven't gotten the PAGE_FAULT bug check string 'crash'.

The only other one I did get was as mentioned a couple posts before crash date april 18th.

Thanks again for your help.
    ~Lonewolf

Attached Files:

LoneWolfMage, Apr 27, 2014
  15. LoneWolfMage

Shintaro Moderator

Mate,
    Could you post to the forum the crash from the 18th and any newer crash files.

Please enable driver verifier.

Driver verifier

The Driver Verifier tool that is included in every version of Windows since Windows 2000 it is used to detect and troubleshoot many driver issues that are known to cause system corruption, failures, or other unpredictable behavior.

***FIRST: Please backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Windows 7 Startup Repair feature.)
    1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
    3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    4. Select:
      ---- Special Pool
      ---- Pool Tracking
      ---- Force IRQL Checking
      ----Deadlock Detection
      ---- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
      ---- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
      ---- Miscellaneous Checks

5. Click "Next"
    6. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    7. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    8. Select "Finish" on the next page.
    Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
    Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
    The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

How Long should I wait for a crash?

- If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

How do I turn Driver Verifier off?!

- Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page.

- Or press the Windows Key + R, and type in "verifier /reset" (Without the quotes)

- Then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post. then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

I can't get in to Windows, what do I do?

- If Windows will not start and get to a login screen or desktop, because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.

- If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

How do I put the crash dump files in a Zip file?

Instructions on putting files in a Zip file and extracting (Taking them out) again are explained HERE.

Shintaro, Apr 27, 2014
  16. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Shintaro~

Memory dump from the 18th of April zipped and attached.

No other crashes since then.

I will run driver verifier shortly.

~LoneWolf

Attached Files:

LoneWolfMage, Apr 28, 2014
  17. LoneWolfMage

Shintaro Moderator

1/ Please ensure that Driver Verifier stays on. Run a command prompt as Administrator and type in the following:
    Code:
    verifier /querysettings

You should see 'X' next to the options I asked you to set in the previous post.​

2/ Could you please uninstall any ASUS Utilities, for example Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility.

3/ It looks like you have the latest video Driver for your NVIDIA GeForce GT 610, but could you please double check that.

Shintaro, Apr 29, 2014
  18. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Shintaro~

I did leave Driver Verifier going for just shy of 2 days( I started it Monday at around 1pm and stopped it Wednesday around noon, at least I THINK I stopped it correctly ) When Verifier was running I DID NOT get a Blue Screen.

However, interestingly enough. This morning when I turned my system on, within about 15 minutes I got a Blue Screen. Dump file attached. This one however IS different (a bug check string I HAVE NOT seen before) from the ones I had reported earlier in this thread.

With regard to the ASUS Utilities, I don't believe I have any of those installed, at least they are not showing in my add/remove programs list, and I didn't install any when I set this system up with Win 8.

Attached Files:

LoneWolfMage, May 1, 2014
  19. LoneWolfMage

Shintaro Moderator

It looks like Driver Verifier was on.
    Please make a system restore point, then download AutoRuns from the Sysinternals web site HERE.
    Start Autoruns, go to the Drivers Tab and un-tick the box next to ASACPI.sys, close AutoRuns.

Please run MemTest86. There is a Article HERE on our sister website.
    Let it run overnight for at least 8 passes.

Please leave Driver Verifier on, use the command I posted previously to ensure that it is still active.

Shintaro, May 2, 2014
  20. LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

Shintaro~

I did as you requested.

-Ran Autoruns, did not find ASACPI.sys listed
    -Ran Memtest overnight (about 9 or 10 passes) no errors found.
    - Reinitialized Driver Verifier(after checking the command line you mentioned it apparently was NOT running)before running the tests you requested. Still running as of this posting.
    -No blue screens.
    Also PRIOR to running the tests and AFTER reinitializing Verifier I had 2 Important Windows updates to do according to windows updates. KB2964358 and KB2961887. Both installed without issue.

Anything else to advise ?

LoneWolfMage, May 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question