Software and Windows 8 on ARM "Windows Store only ?"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tchégéda, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Tchégéda

Tchégéda

I have a question. Is it true, that the only softwares who can be install on Windows 8 on ARM, will be those that will be present on the Windows Store ?

Tchégéda, Apr 13, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Tchégéda

Papo

As I understand it, that'll be correct. There’s a good article titled Building Windows for the ARM (WOA) processor architecture that provides lengthy but thorough information about WOA...click here.

One of the paragraphs has this statement: WOA PCs will be serviced only through Windows or Microsoft Update, and consumer apps will only come from the Windows Store, so you never have to worry if a program will run because you are not downloading or installing from a DVD outside of the store experience.

Papo, Apr 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Tchégéda

Victor Leigh

I am a bit confused here. How about those who are not using ARM? Where do we get our software from?

Victor Leigh, May 4, 2012
  4. Tchégéda

Papo

As I understand it, you can get any Windows 8 compatible software as you would any Windows 7, Windows Vista, etc. compatible software. As long as you are running Windows 8 on an x86 platform, there will be no changes as to what type of software you can get for your machine...as long as it's Win 8 compatible.

The ARM architecture is completely different, as the OS is embedded within the system...similar to a smart phone.

Papo, May 4, 2012
  5. Tchégéda

TheMightyEddy

I think this is true as it's Microsoft. There's many competitors which want to compete with Microsoft. If it takes MS to make money and beat all the other companies, then yes they will do this.

TheMightyEddy, May 13, 2012
  6. Tchégéda

Papo

Well, Microsoft is the only company offering tablets on the x86 architecture and starting with Windows 8, they’ll join the Android and iPad tablets in using ARM. Software updates for the iPad and Android tablets has always being done through their respective stores, so Windows 8 on ARM will be no different.

Of course, this confuses many users that are accustomed to purchase software and install them in their PCs. However, that’s not going to change with Windows 8 tablets running on x86 architecture or tablets running Intel or AMD chips.

But, with ARM chip tablets, the software is embedded within the system, so the updates are done different. Think about a smart cell phone. When theirs an update for the cell phone, it must be downloaded through the cell phone manufacture or cell phone provider and then you follow certain steps to get the update installed. A Windows 8 ARM tablet will be updated in a similar fashion.

Papo, May 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question