Sleep mode causing shutdown.

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Dadius, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Dadius

Dadius

Hello,

I recently built a new computer about 3 weeks ago and installed windows 8.1 It has been working perfectly, including sleep mode. Starting yesterday however, every time the computer goes into sleep mode, it immediately shuts down. I tried turning Hypernate off with the command prompt command, and also the bios setting for the power supply, and it still does it. My power supply is an Antec higher current Gamer 750m and the computer has been in and out of sleep mode many times before yesterday. I never installed any new programs or drivers either.

Dadius, Oct 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Dadius

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Have you attempted to run the "Power" troubleshooter?
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\System and Security -> Power

These types of problems are always a very difficult issue to troubleshoot.
    Maybe some details about the specs on the actual system might help, in case someone with a similar rig has something to contribute.

The fact that it seems to be an issue that developed within the last 24 hours might suggest that a system restore to yesterday (or the day before) might provide some help.

Trouble, Oct 13, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Dadius

Dadius

Specs are.
    Gigabyte Z97X UD3H
    i7 4790k cooled by Noctua NH D15
    16gb corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz @ 2133
    Antec high current Gamer 750m
    Msi Gtx 970 OC
    Samsung 840 evo 250gb ssd
    Crucial m4 128 gb SSD
    WD Black 1 tb HDD

I had system restore turned off unfortunately.

Dadius, Oct 14, 2014
  4. Dadius

What about the power troubleshooter? Anything there that would suggest an issue?
    How about event viewer? Have you checked there for anything regarding the issue?
    Is your machine shutting down completely or is it rebooting?

Trouble, Oct 14, 2014
  5. Dadius

Dadius

It was shutting down completely. I reinstalled windows keeping the old programs and stuff and it seems to have fixed it. IT may have been something Windows update did. I normally set windows update to "never" and I just do it manually every now and then. Been doing that for years to avoid problems. This time I had it on automatics, and there was problems.

Dadius, Oct 15, 2014
  6. Dadius

That sounds like a very reasonable assumption and may very well be accurate.
    Maybe this time around catch them all up early on in the game, but do so in small batches, checking your power saving (sleep / shutdown) issue after a reboot, after each batch.

Trouble, Oct 15, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question