Sign In

Discussion in 'Announcements, Suggestions and Feedback' started by davidhk129, Sep 25, 2013.

1. davidhk129

davidhk129

At the moment, if I sign in to Windows 8 forums, and then scroll down and select Windows 7 forums, I will have to sign in again if I want to post.

Since these 2 forums are under one umbrella, could we forego the 2nd sign in requirement?
    Possible?

davidhk129, Sep 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. davidhk129

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Ian of course would be the final answer man for this question, but.....
    I'm relatively certain that the two forums maintain individual members tables (usernames and passwords) in two separate and discreet databases. Being a member of one does not mean you are a registered member of the other.

It would likely be a big project to merge the contents of both tables, prevent duplicates, generate new primary keys, etc., and there may not be a means or facility to do it within the forum software.
    Simply joining (registering on) the other site and logging in one time and checking the box to "Remeber Me" seems like a whole lot easier.

And I suspect that, not everyone, would want or choose to be an automatic member of both sites.

Trouble, Sep 25, 2013
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. davidhk129

airplayne

I don't see why they would have separated both in the first place, after all it is just a forum. It seems rather ridiculous to have two separate logins for areas of the same site.

IMHO

airplayne, Sep 25, 2013
  4. davidhk129

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

That's the issue. They are not actually the same site.
    Ping the FQDN
    www.win8forums.com
    and then
    www.w7forums.com
    and you'll see that DNS.... the fancy thing that resolves Fully Qualified Domain Names to IP Address, resolves to two different IP addresses.

Trouble, Sep 25, 2013
  5. davidhk129

Core coffee & gigabytes Moderator

Also, the forums weren't using the same forum software before, which doesn't exactly help. They are now. For me this is really not a big deal, my browser remembers my credentials just fine.

I wonder how this would affect the user profiles, if implemented. Would the post counts etc merge, or would the profiles remain separate, just using the same login info to authenticate? I would think this would be easier to implement when building new sites than it would to existing ones.

Still, an interesting idea. Especially since I wouldn't be the one doing all the work to make it go.

Core, Sep 26, 2013
  6. davidhk129

Ian Administrator

Trouble and Core have pretty much hit the nail on the head. Until very recently we were using different software on both sites, it's only in the past couple of weeks that w7forums.com was upgraded to match. Ideally it would be nice to have a single sign-on feature, but it's a technical limitation that prevents us from doing this reliably. There are some 3rd party extensions that can do this, but not reliably - but XenForo have talked about coding something, so we may see it in time.

For now, I'd just tick the "remember me" box when signing in. The single sign-on feature would most likely still mean you'd have to sign in as normal, just using synced details - as it's not easy to have cookies traverse domains in this example.

Ian, Sep 26, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question