Should I Upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LindaKay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. LindaKay

LindaKay

I just bought a new computer less than a month ago (I really needed it), but it came pre-loaded with Windows 7.

Do you guys think I should upgrade to Windows 8? Is it really worth the money and trouble?

LindaKay, Jan 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. LindaKay

airplayne

Nah, unless you bought a computer with a touchscreen there really is no reason to upgrade. Stick with 7 for now.

airplayne, Jan 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. LindaKay

Ian Administrator

There's no big rush to upgrade unless you're missing something - although we are bias with being on a Windows 8 forum ;).

You could always hang fire until the next update to Windows 8 and see if there's anything you miss having. There's a handy page on the Microsoft website that details some of the features in 8,1:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/features

Ian, Jan 16, 2014
    davehc likes this.
  4. LindaKay

davehc

Touchscreen is a very useable feature in Windows 8. However, it is not mandatory and the normal mouse and click functions are still there.
    Windows 8/8.1, offers improved performance and other more advanced features, particularly in security, than earlier OSs.
    If you are happy with Windows 7, a very good OS, though, there is no reason to spend cash on yet another advancement.

davehc, Jan 16, 2014
  5. LindaKay

Wxuan

Honestly, there's no point. Performance wise, there is no real difference. Visually, I like the metro style but that is just my personal preference. What I like about Windows 7 is a lot more easier to use for users in general because of its similarity to older operating systems like Vista and XP. I know I would definitely not suggest this OS to my parents because they would get really confused.

Wxuan, Jan 18, 2014
  6. LindaKay

Guardian

Definitely stay with Windows 7, its about as stable and reliable as you can get right now. Windows 8 and especially 8.1 are giving me nothing but headaches right now. Especially with the cost involved, and not having to adjust to the changes, I personally would stay with 7 and recommend anyone else to do the same.

Guardian, Jan 18, 2014
  7. LindaKay

davehc

I guess it is a matter of how anyone uses their computer. I am not a gamer, and have had no problems of any marked degree with Windows 8/8.1. I have read, frequently, that there are gaming compatibility probs though.
    I agree with Wxuan that, performance wise, the difference is not great to the human eye, although sophisticated benchmarking might prove otherwise. As I said on another thread, benchmarking performance in games was slightly down, but this was, apparently, due to a method employed by Windows 8 in the use of the RTC.
    But (IMHO) I think there are quite a few more things in Windows 8, for the average user, to be considered than micro second speed differences. So far, I do feel that it is the best all-round performer I have used.
    I can only repeat my previous post that, if Windows 7 works for you, then stay with it.

davehc, Jan 18, 2014
  8. LindaKay

turklife

I'd say if you are leaning towards not upgrading then it wouldn't be a problem to stay where you are. I wouldn't worry about upgrading for now, especially if it isn't really needed.

turklife, Jan 21, 2014
  9. LindaKay

LindaKay

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I will probably stick with Windows 7 for now. I'm sure I'll be upgrading eventually, though. At least when I do, I'll know a bit about it from perusing these forums.

LindaKay, Jan 21, 2014
  10. LindaKay

Lithium

I don't think you should upgrade it unless it becomes mandatory. This won't probably happen in the next 2 years. Until then, you're good.

Lithium, Feb 27, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question