Shared printers work once

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Nico Pennings, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Nico Pennings

Nico Pennings

Within a local network I have two computers. To a desktop which uses Vista two printers are connected: an Epson laser printer and an HP officejet. With a Windows-8 laptop I have used the shared printers for about one year successfully. Before upgrading the laptop to W8.1, I have put the laptop into the state just after the installation of W8 by means of Acronis, a backup and recovery program. Upgrading to W8.1 went flawless. Subsequently I was able to install in W8.1 the two printers successfully. Test pages and initial prints worked well in W8.1.

However, after a shutdown and restart of the laptop the two shared printers are not available for printing. After re-installation in W8.1 the printers work fine until the laptop is shutdown. After each start-up of the laptop a re-installation in W8.1 is necessary. The strange thing is that a re-installation on the laptop of one of the two printers results in the proper operation of both the HP and the Epson. By the way, all the time the two printers work fine when when accessed from their local computer, i.e. the desktop.

Does anyone know how to solve this and to avoid printer installation before each use ?

Nico Pennings, Dec 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Nico Pennings

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    On the problem machine, Hold the Windows Logo Key and strike the "R" key and type
    services.msc.
    scroll as needed and locate the "Print Spooler" service.
    Right click it and choose restart and see if your network (shared printers) pop up (reappear) in the printers folder.
    If so, it's possible that the spooler service is starting before the network shares can be enumerated. You may want to change the start properties from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed Start) and see if that helps at all.

Trouble, Dec 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question