SD card stopped getting recognized

SOLVED Discussion in 'Hardware' started by creaze, Nov 30, 2014.

1. creaze

creaze

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Laptop running Windows 8 which it came with from Walmart.

I'm using a micro SD card with my portable player. And i'm repeatedly inserting it into the SD slot just below the touchpad of the laptop, with an adapter. I'm updating files on that card, and so far the file browser window has been popping up every time i inserted that card.

Today something happened, i think, i extracted the card too quickly after requesting a safe removal. It might have been a moment before it actually got unmounted.

After that, the SD card slot virtually stopped working. I push in that card and nothing happens.

I tried pressing F5 in My Computer, "search for new devices", checked Auto-Start settings and even formatted that card with my music player — all to no avail. The card itself seems to work fine with the player; and i also tried inserting a USB stick to see if the USB ports still work — they do.

So it's just that SD card slot not responding to the intrusion of the card. No red flags in the Device Tree either.

What would you suggest to get that port back to operation?

Thanks!

creaze, Nov 30, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. creaze

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    I would suggest going here http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Products/
    Plug in your Service Tag Number
    Find the correct driver for you Card Reader
    And reinstall it. You may first want to actually remove it from device manager before running the driver installation that you downloaded from Dell.

Testing the SD card in another machine would be ideal if you have the means to perform such a test. Just to determine if the card seems undamaged.
    Perhaps even connecting your "portable player" to your laptop with an interface cable to see if the card is seen as auxiliary storage by that method.

Trouble, Nov 30, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. creaze

creaze

Hi Trouble,

Thanks for the reply. I can't find any entry in the Device Tree that i could refer to this card reader device. As if the device is already gone; even more irritating is that scanning for new devices doesen't bring up anything either.

I did that. Card works fine; player even plays back new music which i planted on the card via that player connected to the laptop. Still that method is pretty unpractical, so i'll still work on reviving the reading device.

Thank you!

creaze, Dec 1, 2014
  4. creaze

creaze

Problem solved. A couple days ago i've turned off some automatic services to try to reduce random disk activity after startup. With these services now on, the card reader works again.

In the Device Tree it's located under USB controllers.

creaze, Dec 1, 2014
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question