Screen Size Too Small for Some Non-Windows 8 Applications

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by TheArtfulDodger, May 25, 2014.

1. TheArtfulDodger

TheArtfulDodger

Hello:

I am having a problem with some applications (mostly from Windows 7) that I am installing on my new Windows 8.1.1 tablet: the size of some dialogs are too large to fit onto the screen, and often the buttons I need to click are out of sight below the edge of the screen.

I've tried turning the screen on it's side, and that lets me see the bottom, but it's an awfully unwieldy thing to have to do in the 21st century on a new, state of the art machine!! For my tablet, it means unplugging the tablet from the keyboard each time!

I must admit up front that, despite having used various versions of Windows (all except ME and Vista) for over 20 years, I am a novice when it comes to Windows 8.1.1; therefore it might be a setting that I haven't found yet, but I am lost as to how to solve this properly.

Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA,

Sparky

TheArtfulDodger, May 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. TheArtfulDodger

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    What tablet is it? What is your current screen resolution set to?
    Some specifications regarding the actual computer you have might be helpful.
    Manufacturer, Model Name and Number, CPU specs, Memory, etc.
    If you're not sure of some of the detail you can use something like the free version of this http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download to obtain a lot of the data.

Trouble, May 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. TheArtfulDodger

TheArtfulDodger

Hello, Trouble:

First, thanks for taking the trouble to write!!

My tablet is a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130,Intel Core i5 4200U @ 1.60GHz processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD.

Resolution: 1920x1080 (Recommended), but less than 1920x1440 - thus some items might not fit on the screen. This might be the problem, but 1080 is the max of the screen.

Sparky

4. TheArtfulDodger

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I notice that Dell has a BIOS and TouchPanel Firmware update and was wondering if you had taken steps to acquire and install those.
    SOURCE: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/kcs/kcsarticles/articleview?docid=644081
    That resolution sounds like it should be satisfactory for viewing practically anything although I'm not familiar with the aspect ratio on that 10.8 inch screen.
    It almost sounds like you may have engaged some type of magnifier utility so you may want to check the ease of access applet in the control panel just to confirm that the native magnifier is not on.
    Since this is a reasonably new system, you may want to take up the issue directly with Dell Support and see what they might be able to advise in the way of a resolution.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, May 25, 2014
  5. TheArtfulDodger

TheArtfulDodger

Hi, Randy:

Well, you HAVE identified a problem: Despite asking Dell to notify me of ALL updates to the tablet by e-mail, I have received none!! So, there is an update to both the touch pad (just installed) and to the BIOS (not yet installed). Previously, I have installed updates to both, but I don't recall how I did it for the BIOS - the instructions say to put it on a bootable USB drive, but I've never had much luck. I don't think I did that the last time.

However, I have to call it quits this evening (it's already almost 6:00 PM here - Ashford, Kent, England) but tomorrow is another day and I'll work on seeing if I can get a USB flash drive to boot.

Then. I'll be able to see if either of these solutions have helped to solve my problem! Thanks so much for your help!

Sparky

6. TheArtfulDodger

TheArtfulDodger

Well, First of all, Dell lied when they said the BIOS had to be installed from a bootable flash drive - in fact, after spending all day trying to get a flash drive to be bootable, when I tried to execute the program, it wouldn't work. So, I tried to simply execute if from windows and it updated the BIOS just fine.

So, now I have an updated BIOS and touchpad firmware but I still have the problem with some of the screens. However, the ones that I first saw came from the COMODO CIS install program and I've sent some information to them to see if they can sort out another problem, so maybe they can sort this one out too!

Thank you so much for your help in discovering the updates - I certainly wouldn't have suspected there were any out there since Dell didn't let me know about them!

Sparky

TheArtfulDodger, May 29, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question