screen resolution decreased with windows 8 installation

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by thedow, Apr 7, 2012.

1. thedow

thedow

anybody have an issue with the windows 8 installation changing their screen resolution? the settings changed my monitor to "generic non-pnp monitor" with a maximum resolution of 1024x768. whereas it used to be 1440 x 900. i have a HP pavilion laptop.
    thanks for your help!

thedow, Apr 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. thedow

Alex19

It is normal for the resolution to change during installation, but after the drivers are installed it should go back to 1440x900.

Try installing your own video drivers and see if it changes something.

Alex19, Apr 8, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. thedow

thedow

thanks alex. i actually ended up doing this from another post regarding windows 7 and it worked:

10-23-2009 07:52 AM
    Hey Guys,

I actually have a dv9000 laptop myself so I was floored when I found out that HP would only support a few of the top laptop models for Windows 7 drivers. After doing alot of research and countless tinkering, I found the way to counteract at least one of the many woes many of you are feeling, updating NVIDIA GPU Drivers.

What I did was I went to HP's support site and downloaded their softpaq solution including the NVIDIA drivers for Vista (in my case, the 64-bit version). When it tries to install, it will fail saying that the version of Windows you're using is not Vista. By all means let it fail but don't exit unless you do so by the installer. This is where the next part comes in.

Go to the Screen Resolution Settings under Display and click on Advanced Settings. At this point, it should show you the properties of your card starting on the Adapter tab. Click on Properties and then the Driver tab. At this point, click on the Update Driver button and then click on the "Browse my computer for driver software." For my software, I found it under "C:/swsetup/sp42365/WinVista64." If you remember which softpaq file you downloaded, finding your path should be a piece of cake. After all of that, it should finally recognize your video card and ask you to reboot. If you're successful, you should be back at that 1400x900 resolution we all love.

I'll keep researching to see if the other softpad drivers react the same. I wish that HP at least tells people about this option since it's fairly easy to follow.

thedow, Apr 8, 2012
  4. thedow

zacker150

Did you try to click the "Detect" button above the Identify button? It worked for me.

zacker150, Jun 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question