Scanning & Repairing every time I boot up

Discussion in 'Installation, Setup and Upgrades' started by Beerman, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Beerman

Beerman

I have this identical problem... http://www.eightforums.com/performa...scanning-repairing-volume-volume-startup.html

I reinstalled 8.1 yesterday due to problems with drivers that I have now been able to fix. But this time, every time I boot the computer, I get a message, 'scanning & repairing' with a long volume number that goes by too fast for me to write down but it's at 100% immediately and continues to the boot up.

I've seen no problems in the short time since I reinstalled and have run a check on all the drives in my system and they show no errors. While this goes fast and doesn't really slow down the boot up that much, I'm just concerned that if I don't look into this, a problem could be coming and I want to be proactive if that's the case.

I've read lots of posts where folks have this message and the screen freezes at a certain percent but that's not my problem so I'm not sure what, if anything needs to be done.

So, when I reinstalled W8.1, there was a 350mb partition on my SSD that I deleted....guess it was the recovery partition. When I got into Windows, I went into Disk Management and fixed it so that it didn't show a drive letter since I never wanted to see it in Explorer or My Computer.
    I just formatted that small partition and gave it a drive letter and the scan message DOES NOT show up on bootup.

My other, somewhat identical system shows this drive only in Disk Management as 'System Reserved' and it does not show up in My Computer.

So, how can I do the same to this small partition? It will not allow me to merge to C.

Thanks

Beerman, Jan 6, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Beerman

davehc

I wrote a small PDF on the subject, in the form of a tutorial, when Windows 8 preview was released. I use this now, to remove the xtra partition and incorporate the boot files into the main partition.
    I use this often, when helping colleagues, but, a warning. The slightest mistake could result in the ruin of your OS and, at worst, leave you to be unable to boot up your computer. I may not be able t help you should this happen, so this would require, from there, a reinstall.
    Don't do this on UEFI systems where Windows is installed on a GPT drive.

So, before you even consider it, make an image backup of your system, with something like Acronis or (Free) Macrium.

File is attached. There may be easier ways, using one or other of the many third party partition managers. Another member may be able to assist with this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    davehc, Jan 6, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Beerman

Beerman

Thanks, I'll look this over and consider it.......I've already made an image of my OS drive.

Beerman, Jan 6, 2014
  4. Beerman

davehc

I should remind you again, that the reserve partition is very small and does no harm, if left. Many users (that's me also) like a clean hard disk and prefer to have it removed.
    I have read that it also destroys the Bitlocker interaction, but, for whatever reason, I have not had this experience.

davehc, Jan 6, 2014
  5. Beerman

Beerman

I actually had this site bookmarked and found it easier and it was successful
    http://geeksripe.com/how-to-hide-disk-partition-in-windows-8/
    I was tempted to try it last night but wanted to wait until I got some info from here. Since I had already installed 8.1 and formatted that drive, and could not merge it with any partition software or never wanted to use the small space, I just hid it. So far, so good.

Thanks for all your help.

Beerman, Jan 6, 2014
  6. Beerman

davehc

Just had a peek. Yes. It should be hidden by default, so I am not sure of the value there. But, believe me, if you now have everything working and no more interence, leave all alone!

davehc, Jan 6, 2014
  7. Beerman

GARY WOLSTENHOLME

I read your .pdf with interest as I have the same 'Scanning and Repairing.....100% complete' message displaying itself on Windows 10 bootup for less than 1 second. The system always boots fine but the message is an irritant.
    nonetheless. Identifying the 'partition of interest' as in Part 1 of your document is obviously crucial. On Windows 10 a 'diskpart' utility 'list part' command will highlight it with an asterisk (*). In my case it reads '* Partition 3, Type-Reserved, Size-128 Mb).

The confirmation is in the 'detail part' display which shows the Type as a 32-byte Identifier of:-
    'e3c9e316-0b5c-4db8-817d-f92df00215ae'

A Wikipedia page:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition

contains a brief but interesting article on the subject of the 'Microsoft Reserved Partition'..

I haven't ventured through Part 2 of your .pdf yet but am planning to do so very shortly. However, I have more far more faith in this than any 'Fix-It-Quick' offerings of dubious quality or origin.

I plan to put together a summary of all of this, in particular the events leading up to it, in due course. So, watch this space!

Regards,

Gary.

GARY WOLSTENHOLME, Nov 22, 2015
  8. Beerman

davehc

Jus popped back to say, feel free to use anything I said. No copyright on help -lol. I am almost totally dedicated to windows 10 now, so I do not spend an time in Windows 8 forums.

Regards, David

davehc, Dec 4, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question