Same Old Story...

Discussion in 'Software' started by MyDigitalpoint, Nov 8, 2013.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

I'm really happy with Windows 8 and impressed of new features like the metro start menu, but at a time surprised to see that after eight versions, both the notepad and the calculator that comes with Windows are just the same that came with... Windows 3 or 3.1?

Does anyone know or figure out why Windows never update this software?

Or if they do, I can't see any difference, both are useless and notepad is particularly annoying due to its limited capabilities compared to other notepad replacement options.

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 8, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MyDigitalpoint

airplayne

They work for what they are built for, why change them? I don't know about notepad, but I am sure they have updated the calculator (not sure when though) as there is an expanded option to it that allows you to use scientific functions.

airplayne, Nov 8, 2013
    davehc likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. MyDigitalpoint

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

They added a Modern App (metro) Calculator which does pretty much everything the old calculator did before with just a new style interface.
    And of course there is still Wordpad which adds a bit more functionality than Notepad.
    Do you have some specifics as to how these two old reliable (if sort of plain) applications might be enhanced?

Trouble, Nov 8, 2013
    davehc likes this.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

I see, but problem with Windows Notepad and Wordpad is that both of these applications are not really good for web developing.

Asking your specific question Trouble, in example, I have been using Metapad as Windows Notepad substitute and it has a series of enhancements that yourself can find here, http://liquidninja.com/metapad/

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 10, 2013
  5. MyDigitalpoint

davehc

Web developing, with notepad, (or wordpad)? Surely not!

davehc, Nov 10, 2013
  6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Exactly! I mostly use an HTML editor called Araneae, but sometimes I need to make a quck fix that with Windows Notepad is simply a big mistake at the uploading time, hence my need to use an alternative.

However I thought Windows 8 will come with a better notepad this time :(

MyDigitalpoint, Nov 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question