Safe Mode?

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Trouble, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Do you have a Windows 8 computer that will not boot normally?
    Are you convinced that if you could just boot the machine into safemode you could fix
    what ails it?
    Are you exhausted attempting to get to safe mode by traditional methods like tapping the
    F8 key or holding the shift key and tapping F8?
    Has the much touted Microsoft failover feature failed to offer up a safe mode boot option?
    Here's a little trick that should work for you if you are desperate to get into safe mode.

Boot from either a repair disk or the install media and select the Repair link, Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Command Prompt.
    At the Command Prompt type:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    Reboot your machine

This does two things. It replaces the new Windows 8 boot menu with the old black and white screen and will now support the tapping of the F8 key to allow you to get into safe mode or safe mode with networking, just like in the old days.

Once you've concluded whatever it was you wanted to accomplish in safe mode you can revert back to the traditional Windows 8 boot menu by opening an administrative command prompt and typing:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard
    Reboot your machine

That's it. Hope this helps some of you.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Jan 24, 2013
    jubbly, bassfisher6522 and clifford like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

davehc

I think, perhaps Randy, it is possibly quicker to select safe mode in Msconfig and reboot? But I do like your sentence, and am in agreement "much touted"

davehc, Jan 25, 2013
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Thanks Dave.
    The premise of the post was that you had a machine that would not boot normally, that would likely mean that using any number of methods to safe mode boot from within the GUI would be difficult to access.

Trouble, Jan 25, 2013
  4. Trouble

Aditya Kulkarni

I didn't know that this particular diagnostics tool is not available in Windows 8!

Thank you very much Dave, this has saved most of my efforts if at all if I run into some issues related to startup.

How did you found this thing by the way? :)

Aditya Kulkarni, Jan 25, 2013
  5. Trouble

Ace

For less technical terns yes it replaces the boot menu I suppose, but don't be confused by what this really does. This actually enables the regular BIOS again and disables the secure boot (UEFI). Only reason UEFI was implemented, and adopted at the time of Windows 7 was for the fact that it was more versatile; the BIOS was configured only for the x86 processor architecture. UEFI is not architecturally dependent on anything in specific like the BIOS.

Having the traditional BIOS back though isn't such a bad thing however. :)

They didn't "tout" with this (assuming a modification to the original BIOS) though, this was an adopted feature by Microsoft. Read here on UEFI: http://www.uefi.org/about/

It's actually entirely different from the traditional BIOS we most commonly know of, just for reference. Good post though!

Ace, Jan 27, 2013
  6. Trouble

jubbly

Great post OP.

I removed the Metropolitan Police virus from someones Vista laptop the other day and of course Safe Mode was my first port of call and then I realised that my Windows 8 machine does not have that option and I would be stuck if a similar virus befell me.

This will be invaluable, Post liked and bookmarked.

Is the "like" system on here like a kudos or rep system?

jubbly, Jan 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question