Running win 7 programs on win 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by Seasidepeter, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Seasidepeter

Seasidepeter

Forgive a dumb question, but I've only been running the new preview for a day...I've installed it on a second hard drive as a dual boot. Can I Explorer- over to my win7 drive and run programs from there, or do I have to reinstall stuff like Office on the new os?

Seasidepeter, Mar 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Seasidepeter

davehc

You will have to reinstall in most cases. You might get away witht some of the small utilites/progs though.

davehc, Mar 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Seasidepeter

Seasidepeter

Thanks; looks like Word doesn't run on it yet, reinstalled or not.

4. Seasidepeter

davehc

Which one? I have 2010 running 100%

davehc, Mar 7, 2012
  5. Seasidepeter

Seasidepeter

I have Office 2007. When I double click on it from win8 I get a message to the effect that it "won't yet" run under win8. I'm not on that pc at the momennt, so can't quote it exactly.

6. Seasidepeter

davehc

I've googled and googled, and cannot find a reference to a problem with this. You could try right clicking the exe (install/setup - whatever) and choosing Vista from the compatibility tab.

davehc, Mar 8, 2012
  7. Seasidepeter

Seasidepeter

Thanks for your efforts - I've tried all the compatibility modes, with no success. The message I get in all cases is "The operating system is not currently configured to run this program".
    I note several people are successfully running Office 10. Maybe it's M$ trying to make me upgrade...:-(

Seasidepeter, Mar 8, 2012
  8. Seasidepeter

Papo

Seasidepeter, maybe I misunderstood something, but are you trying to run Office 2010 on Windows 8 from a Windows 7 partition? If that is the case it will not run because the installation files must be within the OS...in this case Windows 8.

Like I said, maybe I misunderstood you because on your first post on this thread you mentioned something to that fact.

Papo, Mar 8, 2012
  9. Seasidepeter

Seasidepeter

You're absolutely right. I ran a couple of programs from the Win7 partition (skype, thunderbird) and they worked fine; so I sort of assumed Word would too.
    But of course, thinking about it, there are no installation files within Win8...
    I wonder if I can reinstall it without triggering a licensing problem. Twice on the same computer? Interesting....

Seasidepeter, Mar 8, 2012
  10. Seasidepeter

Papo

Papo, Mar 8, 2012
  11. Seasidepeter

kevin yocum

I echo the original thread. There are some programs which ran smoothly on win7 that do not load on Win 8. I have attempted to run side by side but win8 keeps refusing to accept a current digital media editing program. It is removed each time I load win8....win7 is set for compatiblilty to XP2.....any suggestions?

kevin yocum, Mar 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question