Right click for Defender Scan

Discussion in 'Security' started by Trouble, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

I have been missing this particular option since making the transition to Windows 8, I was glad to see that the folks over at How to Geek had somehow managed to read my super secret wish list and provided me with a couple methods to get this accomplished.
    You can either grab their zip file and have the registry edits done automatically for you or you can perform them yourself if you're so inclined.
    Read more.... http://www.howtogeek.com/137083/how...wsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=110213

Trouble, Feb 11, 2013
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

Ian Administrator

Good find :). I use Kaspersky, which comes with that already - but I do like to be able to scan files manually every so often (usually when getting files on a USB stick!).

Ian, Feb 13, 2013
    sleepyH22 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

davehc

Is that Defender hack safe for using the "modern" features?, Trouble.

davehc, Feb 13, 2013
  4. Trouble

Not exactly sure what you are asking Dave? All I can say is that I installed in on my Windows 8 Pro RTM 64bit desktop and there hasn't been any issue so far.
    As far as "the modern features" are concerned, I am not sure how that would apply. Perhaps if you could be more specific I would be glad to test what ever it is you're thinking about.
    Regards
    Randy

Trouble, Feb 13, 2013
  5. Trouble

davehc

OK. Your first para answers the question.

As you know, in Windows 8, winding the UAC to the bottom (stay with me, it is relevant to my query- lol), does not disable the UAC. But, in Windows 8's initial releases, a registry hack was spread around the web, which did actually disable it. It also disabled the store and the modern apps. Microsoft, possibly trying to preserve their territory, said that registry interference with any of their built in security, could have this effect. When I read your post, I wondered how far that policy extended..
    fwiw. I know that, in most cases, installing third part antivirus, which again, will often turn off the Defender, can do this. I have commented on the TechNet pages that this I see this as a violation of our rights, but MS suggest that the problem lies with the antivirus programmers, not with their product.

davehc, Feb 14, 2013
  6. Trouble

Ahhhh, now I follow you.
    No, no impact on any of my live tiles on the start page. Though they are limited, the few that I have still work and constantly update with the reg hack installed. The downloadable package comes complete with a registry reversal / removal .reg file included. One to add and one to remove.
    Thanks for your question and thanks for the clarification.

Trouble, Feb 14, 2013
  7. Trouble

davehc

No prob. But I queried my own comment, afterwards. I finally tracked down, in my useless info folder, the original reply I got from a Microsoft page. A little abrupt, perhaps, but straightforward:

"The combination of real-time protection and tracking by Defender, of which specific files have been scanned since the last time real-time was disabled precludes the need for individual file scans. In other words, since every file is now always scanned upon read as well as write unless the system is certain the file hasn't changed since it was last scanned, there isn't a reason that single file scanning is required. So at this point the act of manually scanning a file is redundant and simply one of those habits that need to be broken."

davehc, Feb 14, 2013
  8. Trouble

Call me old fashioned, but.....
    When one of my grandkids, brings over their thumb drive (or one of their friends), and asks..... grandpa can I look at this on your computer.
    I like the fact that I can right click that drive or the folders contained there-on and choose to scan them manually. I like to physically see that happening in real time. It gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling.
    Besides if you ask me the new iteration of Defender is a little too much in the background to suit me.
    Just my thoughts
    Randy

Trouble, Feb 14, 2013
  9. Trouble

davehc

Well, it is supposed to pop up if it detects anything suspicious. Never done yet for me, but that could mean that I have, so far, operated safely.

davehc, Feb 14, 2013
  10. Trouble

Ace

That registry mod is set to only scan Folders, while that command line option for MpCmdRun.exe will also scan files. Here's a more full Registry modification you can make which allows you to use the option with files as well.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\WindowsDefender]
    @=""
    "Icon"="%ProgramFiles%\\Windows Defender\\EppManifest.dll"
    "MUIVerb"="Scan with Windows Defender"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\WindowsDefender\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MpCmdRun.exe\" -scan -scantype 3 -SignatureUpdate -file \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\WindowsDefender]
    @=""
    "Icon"="%ProgramFiles%\\Windows Defender\\EppManifest.dll"
    "MUIVerb"="Scan with Windows Defender"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\WindowsDefender\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MpCmdRun.exe\" -scan -scantype 3 -SignatureUpdate -file \"%1\""

Ace, Feb 19, 2013
    DarkRepulser likes this.
  11. Trouble

DarkRepulser

Thanks Ace, that registry hack might come in handy. Although I don't use Windows Defender, it might proof handy for other people who don't have an antivirus but Windows Defender.

DarkRepulser, Mar 6, 2013
  12. Trouble

themarksquared

Awesome! This is such a useful tool. Windows Defender IS one of the best anti-virus applications in the market. It's fast, it's reliable, and it's the anti-virus I need. Unfortunately, the only thing I really hated about the AV is that I can't scan single files without having to go to the main application and look for the file. With this tool, I'm sure it'll make my experience with Windows Defender better, and more convenient.

themarksquared, May 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question