Return of the Start Button

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trouble, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Will you welcome back the Start Orb

Poll closed Jul 21, 2013.
  1. Absolutely. Can't live without it

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No. Thanks I'm good.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Huh? What? Couldn't care less.

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Trouble

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

While I'm still not convinced that this is likely to ever happen, I thought, in the interest of all the rumors flying around regarding the possibility that Windows 8.1 (Blue) may be seeing the return of the much missed (apparently) Start Orb, I would ask our members.... If it does happen, will you use it (assuming that, that would be one option).

Trouble, Apr 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Trouble

davehc

For the purposes of dealing with help requests, I installed, in turn, all the known third party Start menus. Finally I decided to abandon them and try a bit harder with the modern screen. I have customised it as far as the number of commonly used icons, are concerned, and have discovered that this works a little better in the latest builds of (win 8.1?). Itwill make no difference to me, therefore, whether the legacy start reappears or not. I am comfortable with my new methods.

davehc, Apr 21, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Trouble

bassfisher6522

For the 6 plus months I've been using windows 8 Pro, I've been using the start menu and quite like it. Then I was gifted Stardocks, Start8 and Mordernmix software and have been using that for almost a month. Start8 puts the start button back but also allows the right click in bottom left corner for quick access to that menu context. The Mordernmix software allows me to open as many apps I want in a window at the same time...cool feature...but still allows me to use the mouse as a touch device in the start menu in each window. I use these two pieces of software in conjunction with the start menu so I have the best of both worlds...it works for me. So either way, with or with out the start button I'm good.

bassfisher6522, Apr 21, 2013
  4. Trouble

Ian Administrator

I have to admit, I'd use it if a start orb option returned. I'd much prefer a desktop without the Metro interface if the option was there, as I just don't use any of the tablet-centric features.

Ian, Apr 21, 2013
    sleepyH22 likes this.
  5. Trouble

Latest rumors seem to suggest that the implementation might come in the form of a boot menu. Similar to something like you get when you're dual booting. From which you can choose either the conventional Windows 8 look or the Direct to Desktop with Start Orb. I assume that will support also choosing a default option, maybe through msconfig. Does look promising.

Trouble, Apr 21, 2013
    Ian likes this.
  6. Trouble

Kougar Moderator

Couldn't say it better.

Kougar, Apr 22, 2013
  7. Trouble

davehc

davehc, Apr 26, 2013
  8. Trouble

bryce12

I would definitely welcome the return of the Start Orb or the Start button. Few days back, many news portals announced that Window 8 is actually hindering the sales of PCs instead of reviving them. Perhaps a lot of people are associating the lack of the Start Orb with the complexity and user unfriendlyness of Windows 8.

bryce12, Apr 26, 2013
  9. Trouble

Trouble, Apr 26, 2013
  10. Trouble

Victor Leigh

Start button? What's a start button?

Actually I have been using Windows 8 ever since beta and haven't noticed the lack of a start button. Yes, I did look around a bit to find out how to get things done but that's expected for anything new.

So, no problem. No start button, no problem.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2013
  11. Trouble

xHysteria

I actually like how it is now, I'm use to it. But what I would like to see though is that when a user doesn't have a password and they lock it, and I wanted to go on my account, I have to sign them out and then login to mine. It's frustrating!

xHysteria, May 3, 2013
  12. Trouble

sking61

I think that it is a lot more quicker with out it. I don't think that it is needed.

sking61, May 3, 2013
  13. Trouble

mintpp

I've become somewhat accustomed to the Metro interface by now but I don't think I'd ever reach the same level of familiarity as what I have with the Start Button. For this reason alone I'd happily welcome it back, as I do think I would get things done slightly quicker with it there.

mintpp, May 9, 2013
  14. Trouble

deathrow96

I'd use it without a doubt, use to make it easier to shut down and quite frankly I love a bit of nostalgia.

deathrow96, May 17, 2013
  15. Trouble

GuyBall

The worst thing is shutting down part. Moving the mouse to corner to make it appear, go to settings, and select shutdown? Is it just me that finds it incredibly annoying? Why fix if it ain't broke, Microsoft? This is my laptop, I'm not using some giant a$$ tablet for godssakes. This interface would look gorgeous on tablets/touchscreen devices, but I still find it annoying on my laptop.

It's something I've been accustomed to for ages, and now for some bizarre reason they decide to change the template? Goodness me.

GuyBall, May 17, 2013
  16. Trouble

Shutting down made a little easier. I've been using this small registry hack, which adds a comprehensive power option menu to a desktop right click of your mouse. It is accompanied by a removal tool as well if you decide you don't like it or don't need it anymore.
    SOURCE

Trouble, May 17, 2013
    Core likes this.
  17. Trouble

themarksquared

Although I've heard reports about the orb's return in the next update, I'm not really that ecstatic for it. I agree, it's a nice option to have since majority of the users think that its more convenient, but I rather stick with the metro interface because I find it to be cleaner, and my eyes like what it sees. Honestly, I'm more excited about the confirmed new snapping options.

themarksquared, May 18, 2013
  18. Trouble

Ace

You can add virtually anything that you can invoke with command line arguments to the context menu if you want. :) You should see my context menu, it's the most powerful tool I have for managing files and various tasks on my system.

Ace, May 18, 2013
  19. Trouble

GuyBall

Thanks. I executed the reg file, is there something else I have to do? Does it require a restart or something?

By the way, even if it works, I still can't fathom why MS would do such a thing. It's still an annoyance and I'm not the first one to say this.

PS: Okay scratch that, it works. Much better now, thanks :)

GuyBall, May 19, 2013
  20. Trouble

Ace

Does anything show up in your right click menu when clicking on the desktop? It's just a modification to the desktop context menu, it's not going to give you the full start menu again.

Ace, May 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question