reset failed on windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Support' started by XJ22, Aug 17, 2014.

1. XJ22

XJ22

Hi, im new here, but yes, im kinda desperated. Let me tell you my problem:

I have a Gateway laptop, i bought it with a preinstalled windows 8 (so, no, i didnt install it).
    A couple days ago, i tried to download a game, apparently way too heavy for the laptop. So after downloading this game,(which took hours and didnt even get the chance to open it) the laptop went to sleep. As soon as i moved the mouse, the laptop froze... ( i think i saw my antivirus before that, saying that my laptop got a virus in start.exe something im not sure but i dont think thats the problem).

Restarted the laptop, and then is when i saw this blue screen with the Advanced options, with troblueshooting etc etc.. OK..I tried to factory reset it, so it would delete all my files, including the game i downloaded (i thought that was the main problem).

Seems that when i was resetting the laptop, it stopped by itself at around 40%? I turned it back on.. now i DONT get to see advanced options ANYMORE. All i get is that blue screen with the : ( smiley and error 0xc000021a.

Turned it off.. back on.. tried F8.. gives me 3 options: press enter and try again.. press F8 for start idk what, and ESC for the UEFI thing -.-

F8, any of the 10 options it gives me, DONT WORK AT ALL.

My main question is.. what is NOT working?! Best buy charges me like 60$ that i dont have for a diagnose..

i tried downloading a recovery disk on internet.. but the laptop says error: failure grub rescue or something like that error 0x1a708 in sector hd32.

did i delete the whole windows 8?!

XJ22, Aug 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. XJ22

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Have you tried the built in Gateway recovery partition to reset the laptop back to factory settings.
    There are some conflicting methods of how, exactly to do this. One is to hold the alt key while repeatedly striking the F10 key during the POST process the other seems to be using the F11 key. You owner's manual should suggest the correct method for your particular model.
    You should know that doing this will completely erase all current data from the drive "EVERYTHING" and reset the computer like the day you brought it home.
    If you need to rescue critical files and data I would recommend a Linux Live Distro something like this one http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=159
    Pick a mirror site somewhere close to you, burn the ISO to a DVD or USB thumb drive and boot from it.
    That should allow you to see the files and folders on your drive and support copying them off to external storage (USB Hard Drive).

Trouble, Aug 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. XJ22

XJ22

oh, no no, i didnt have many documents there so i'd like to reset it. but there is no way for me to do so :/

XJ22, Aug 17, 2014
  4. XJ22

Trouble noob whisperer Moderator

Are you absolutely certain that, after reading your manufacturer's documentation regarding the factory recovery partition and how to access it you cannot use it to completely reset your computer.
    I'm not talking about anything that has anything to do with Microsoft or Windows, I'm talking about the special partition that Gateway should have hidden on your hard disk drive that when evoked should completely recover your system.

Failing this I suppose you will want to contact Gateway and see if they can provide recovery media to restore your system.

Trouble, Aug 17, 2014
    XJ22 likes this.
  5. XJ22

XJ22

oh.. and guess what, i dont even see the windows logo anywhere.. like... windows 8 vanished.. idk if the warranty covers this kind of problem, but i might give it a try xD thanks for the help

XJ22, Aug 18, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question